1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any Ideas on how to pick up leaf out of thick ivy

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by makktruck, Dec 23, 2012.

1. makktruck

makktruck LawnSite Member

Trying to figure out a new way to increase productivity for my yards that have thick ivy areas/patches with leafs. Right now I use a Stihl kombi system blower with a kmr90 powering it. It does the job but takes FOREVER. What do you do???
  2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I just blow the S*** out of it with the walk behind blower. It usually come out pretty easy.
  3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Red max 8050 that would Solve the problem:waving:
  4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Just let the snakes eat the leaves.
  5. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

That's how I do it. Blast the crap out of it while waving the nozzle back and forth, side to side, or whatever pattern frees the leaves from the ivy.
  6. Stihl shred n vac
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. garciajj612

garciajj612 LawnSite Member

That's exactly what we use too
  8. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

i Have the kombi blower and i upgraded to the stihl br600. it is a huge difference. i even have the km130, which is stronger then your 90. i also have a walk behind blower 13hp (390cc honda engine). the stihl back pack blower br600 works alot better for getting the leaves of out ivy, but if its a ton of sq ft of ivy i might use the walk behind blower.
    the back pack blower is a huge different from the kombi blower. it youre going to be doing fall clean ups, it will help out alot.
  9. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

Have one person gently rake while the other blows it out.
    You wont get every last leaf unless you pick it out by hand
  10. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Like others have said, just blow it out. Move the blower tube around, up and down, etc. Ivy areas will take longer than the turf, but you should get most of the leaves out. The remainder leaves usually just settle under the ivy.