1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any ideas on this one?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Aug 21, 2005.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Attached are photos of some poly pipe my technician and I repaired recently. 3/4" poly pipe. It is burned. Melted. Even smells burnt. The only thing I can think of is lightning. It was 12" deep, no utilities nearby, he doesn't have us winterize it with the compressor.

Any other ideas?

burned pipe1.jpg

burned pipe2.jpg
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

And how come sometimes when I attach photos they are visible in the thread, and sometimes you have to click and open the attachment?
  3. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

ive seen pvc pipe shattered by lightning no burn marks though. controllers lightly burned or just blown off the wall into 100 pieces. valve lid covers blown to pieces etc
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

is it close to a pump?
  5. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

If you post more than one attachment you have to click to view it. Post one and it will show without clicking.
  6. Luke in Nebraska

Luke in Nebraska LawnSite Member

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks jblawns.

And no pump. City water.

I've seend timers blown off walls and smolder on car hoods, solenoids blow apart, wires melted, but never a valve box lid explode. That would be sweet!!! And I don't know when this would have happened. He said the zone was weak all year - I fixed in July. Uhhhh... I wonder why it was weak.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've got some lightning-melted sch 40 pipe and/or fittings. I remember seeing some one inch that got 'blown up' into four inch, just like it was a balloon. Not burnt, though, so I guess it was from water that superheated into steam.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

A gopher with a torch! Last time I saw poly that was burned like that it was some overhead driplines in a greenhouse that were over a FIRE that broke out on a cart filled with very dry pots (dead).

Ive seen where lighting struck something outside of a house, found it's way into the sprinkler wires, traveled to the controler in the garage, exploded it and the embers from it fell on some burlap bags close by and nearly burned down the whole house! Garage was a total loss and had to be torn down and rebuilt (and it was attached, smoke damage thru-out).

Yet another great reason to mount controlers OUTSIDE!!!!
  10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Two questions:
    How old is this system? And is there any sign that maybe the burn is old and that part of the poly just now gave way? To me, they almost look like muffler burns. Any chance that the pipe was installed burned and just now failed?