1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any Ideas? Sub Divisions with Homeowners Associations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MsBladePlls Inc., Jun 5, 2001.

1. MsBladePlls Inc.

MsBladePlls Inc. LawnSite Member

Any ideas on how to get into the homeowners associations for the sub-divisions? Best way on billing? Package deals? What are your comments or suggestions. They are greatly appreciated.
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Around here the bigger real estate companies are trustees for the homeowner assn. Its always political, and they are known for being slow payers.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

See if you can find out the name and address of the President of the Association. They usually make the decissions around here.
  4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

ask around- if you can get your foot in the door with beds or mowing the treasures house, you can know when the poa is up for bid. many times they'll just ask you to meet or beat the lowest bid. dave g
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Ever seen one with a bulliten board at the entrance and slowed down to take a peek? usually goes something like this: ATTENTION HOMEOWNERS, yearly dues were due Jan 1 please pay whoever bla bla bla, and this is usually in june. Thats a good first sign not to count on that money being in on time.
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Any Ideas? Sub Divisions with Homeowners Associations

Yes. Stay far, far away.
  7. The only comment I can share that comes to mind is a line in the song "Psycho Killer" by the Talking Heads.

Run run run, run run run away.
  8. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Stay as far away from them as you can. I would rather have five residential homes than one large HOA. The are always political and someone is going to complain no matter how good you do. Not enough money in them to pay for the frustration you have. I have had two of them and gladly I do not have them anymore.

I have to agree with Stone and Keith.
  9. smithsonmi

smithsonmi LawnSite Member

As the VP of our association for the last two years, I admit they are very political. I never thought soap operas were real life until this experience. People in general can not get along and don't even try.

Regardless, we requote every year for our lawn service and always have the fight of 'my nephew's co can do it cheaper' or 'my son will mow it'. The city could know the presidents of the assoc and you could call them each spring.

However, we tend to go by cost more so then with our own homes. Not sure how attractive that makes them.
  10. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Stay out of them, as most of the time it is not lawn maintenance it is PEOPLE MAINTENANCE or ego setting.

“ You don’t edge my sidewalk the way I want it I will do it my self” three weeks later (Ass press) comes to you and ask “why did you not edge Mrs. Snodgrass/tightwads sidewalk” LCO “she told us not to” AP “well we pay you (every 90 day if you are lucky) to edge everything so do it or we will find someone else”

Yes Sir, let the cousin, brother, friend have a ball with it and go for more profitable prospects.