Any idea's to stop sx255 blades from tearing up sod?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Duramaxsle1, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Duramaxsle1

Duramaxsle1 LawnSite Member

I have a sx255 and the blade rips the sod as it's pulling, keeping it sharp doesn't seem to help. Any body have idea's on what to use?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How old is the sod?

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Are we in Ireland?

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Get yourself a turf shark blade, its serated edge is supposed to help cut the sod better.

We used to have a VP12, and we would have a guy cut the sod infront of the blade as it was pulled.

Then we got the 410sx, with its pizza wheel cutter, and the sod tearing problem was gone.

5. Duramaxsle1

I'm in Ontario, Canada. It doesn't seem to make much difference how new the sod is, if it is in really good condition, meaning great root base and lush then it isn't to bad. I see the bigger machines have sod cutters but they tell me there isn't one for the 255.

6. Duramaxsle1

I heard about this shark blade, does it work do you know Jon?

7. Wet_Boots

The Turf Shark blade has a shark-fin-shaped addition to the standard blade, so the slant of the blade is reversed at the point where it contacts the sod.

8. Duramaxsle1

Have you tried it? I see they are about $300 and if it does the job then I'm getting one!!!

9. Wet_Boots

I haven't tried it. I always wondered if the pizza-cutter wheel of the 410sx could be used with the 255sx, or whether it would be too much drag.

10. Duramaxsle1

I haven't looked at it close enough on the 410. Do you think the shark blade is worth it?