Any Ideas what this is?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TSM, Sep 7, 2007.

1. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

the trunk of the tree looks like it is wrapped in shrink wrap plastic!. This webbing covers the entire trunk from ground to very top of tree.

I aint never seen anything like it around here?

anybody?

2007_0907tree0002.jpg

2007_0907tree0005.jpg

2. TSM

from MA

couple more photos

the base of the tree is loaded with frass/sawdust. I've contacted a couple of very knowledgeable tree guys...noboby has ever seen anything like it around here.
    Hoping somebody out there can help

2007_0907tree0003.jpg

2007_0907tree0007.jpg

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

This baffles me too. I'm guessing that it's caused by a leaf-eating caterpiller (similar to Eastern tent cat's). I'd spray it with some good ol' insecticide for sure. Send pics to your land-grant university.
    My best guess is Eastern Tent Caterpillars, but they are more common in late spring???????????

4. TSM

from MA

yeah, not caterpillars though. We are seeing a little activity with fall tent caterpillars but they have their webbing at the ends of branches...nothing like this. When looking real close you can see some movement with the naked eye...looks like a reddish/brown mite kinda thing. I once read something about 'bark mites?'...ever heard of them?

Did send out the photos to an entomologist at UMASS. Waiting his reply.

5. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Spiderman?

6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes insects are attracted to the frass of borers. Is there a caterillar anywhere to be seen? An ARMY of them maybe?

TSM,

I've been a certified Arborist here in CT since '88 & haven't seen anything that extensive before. I'd like to though.

May I join you on a walk through?

Steve

7. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

8. TSM

from MA

after 20 something years in the green industry I am excited once again! This is THE COOLEST thing I have ever experienced! I've been in contact with those who I consider tree experts and no one knows and waiting for a response from an entomologist is killing me. lol (I appreciate the link Gregg, Psocids huh?....looks like it might be?)

The homeowners are open to anyone coming out to see their tree, they just request that I call them first so there is no concern when they see strangers roaming among their trees.

Steve, if you're up for driving to so eastern MA you are more than welcomed just say the word (i'll make sure I turn on the PM thingy you can contact me that way, ok?)

Actually I cant quite ID the tree...so I'd love an aborist to check it out. This is a tree studded lot all the other trees are fine (oaks, maples some bradford pears...I think this might be in the oak family? can you tell from the photos?)

9. TSM

from MA

reading more from greg's link he provided....

Archipsocus nomas Gurney is a communal web-spinning barklouse. During some years they make extensive silken webs that often cover the trunks and branches of trees in the southeastern U.S. The webs are believed to protect the barklice from predators. The webs are unsightly, but neither the barklice nor the webs cause any harm to the trees.
    Distribution
    Webbing barklice are found along the Gulf coast from Texas to Florida and along the Atlantic coast north to South Carolina.

Being in South Eastern MA this is very interesting

10. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

It's very difficult to make out the leaves, buds and bark of this tree. Maybe the leaves are compound? Maybe ash or hickory?