any ideas

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mark B, May 1, 2008.

1. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a service call today that had 2 leaks in 2 different parts of the lawn. I dug the 1st up it was a 1 1/2" X 1" bushing into the bell end of the 1 1/2" pipe. It appeared there had been primer and glue for sure on the fitting. But it had worked loose and started leaking. So I headed for the 2nd leak and it was the same thing. I have seen where the bell end was a tad bigger then normal pipe OD. It seems that the ID of the bell was bigger then the OD of the bushing. Meaning you take a bushing or a pipe and slide it in the bell it sometimes feels looser.

The water is out of a lake? I thought this seemed a little strange.

I think the system is about 5yrs old, from what the homeowner told me. The pressure is about 55psi.

2. a reducer Bushing in a bell end is not the correct application.... the fitting makes the seal when it is flush and bottoms out inside the fitting....

3. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I kinda thought that as well. I cut the bell end off and used a coupling instead. Thought is was weird that it happened at the same time.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, never even thought about doing it that way.

5. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Bell ends are tapered so the pipe slides in easier. You must use a coupling to use any type of bushing.

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

If there was a RB in a belled end, that means the installer changes pipe sizes at the wrong location. Should have been at the next major fitting (T or head). DUH.

That was just lazy installing on the original guy.

7. Ditto...wondering about this myself. Why on earth would you bush down at a bell:confused::confused::confused: