Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Chitown King, May 26, 2008.

1. Chitown King

Chitown King LawnSite Member

I have a Ransomes Bobcat ztr, with a Kohler 23 hp engine. The mower keeps dying while in operation. Once it dies wont start again unless battery is jumped. Jump the battery and it starts right up and runs fine for 10 minutes or so then dies again.

Any ideas?

2. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

When you get it started check the voltage at the battery. You should have about 13.2-13.6 volts. You may have a bad voltage regulator causing the battery to drain to the point where the ignition will no longer fire. Check all your connections especially the ground at the battery and at the regulator . If the voltage is low then you will need to test alternator/stator output. Clean connections are critical to the operation of the charging system as the regulator must detect battery voltage in order to trigger output.... Just my half-fast opinion.

3. bojodunk

bojodunk LawnSite Member

How old is your battery
    check the easy things first

4. Chitown King

I found my spare battery and threw it on and it may be ok. Let's see if it makes it through the day tomorrow.

5. Chitown King

Battery did not do the trick. Tested the regulator and that is not the problem either.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Clean the battery posts real good,
    also might be a coil acting funny.

7. bojodunk

bojodunk LawnSite Member

that spare battery is probley bad