Any info appreciated on front deck riding mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by blair smock, Jul 6, 2004.

1. blair smock

blair smock LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Hi Guys, Starting on my nxt purchase, I want to try and get a front deck riding mower,
    Can you guys point me in a good starting direction, Of course looking for the most bang for the buck, My goal is to cut way down on trimming. Mostly commercial use to compliment my Exmark HP. Any info appreciated. Is there anything in the 7-8k range?

Grasshopper, John deere?
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If you are going to be bagging check out Walker.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Production is what you want. Look into either the Exmark Turf Ranger, or the Gravely that is this type of mower. I have the Gravely 300H, that is the front deck, and it's been a great machine for me. It's a '94, and still going strong. The new ones have alot of improvements, and are much faster. The Exmark still puts out the nicest cut of all these type machines.
  4. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

I agree. Its hard to beat a Walker if you are bagging....
  5. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Don't forget Grasshopper - - I think they were the first.
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've found as far as front deck mowers go, i like the grasshopper the best. holds hills better than a walker and is more comfortable to use. walker is awesome for bagging, sort of a self contained unit.
  7. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Walker also sells a Side discharge only version of all of thier mowers. Lower price, no hopper on the back, no blower.
    I would vote for the Walker over the old style three wheeler.