Any info on a Foley grinder for reel mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Az Gardener, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I did a search and found some good information. They seem to be good machines but does anyone have any idea about costs for used? I am looking at one tomorrow that is 800.00 Sounds high to me but what do I know? Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

3. teamoneoutdoors

teamoneoutdoors LawnSite Member

I have been thinking about getting a unit for our own use. However we recently worked out a program with a local golf course that will sharpen our reels and bedknifes for a fee that is too good to turn down.

4. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Az,

That sounds like a pretty good price to me, but it really depends. In my opinion Foley makes the best when it comes to grinders. Is it a spin grinder, or does it have the ability to relief grind. I paid about $1800 for one at the golf course that was 2 yrs old. It had all the bells and whistles on it though.

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have to pass this link along it has some great information for those who use reel mowers. http://www.foleyunited.com/reel_facts.htm Thanks for the info I need to find out what model no. and year it is.

6. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Foley's are good units - check out turfnet.com for used ones. Many golf courses buy and sell equipment there.

As for the backlapping unit, it may only be 600 bucks but you should only backlap once or twice at most inbetween shapening. The more you backlap the more coned your reels will become.

7. Lugnut

And one more thing about the relief angles, you may not even have to worry about them because there are reels that have relief angles milled right into the blades. I'm not sure about othe brands but the Toros are like this

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

someone has a foley (not one for reel's though) on ebay. i think it's at 162+shipping right now. has like a day left on the auction.

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I have to disagree on this one. In order to knock a spin ground reel out of it's cylindrical shape means the reel to bedknife relationship wasn't correct to begin with.
    All back lapping does is to re-orientate the leading edge of the bed knife to the reel following facing of the bed knife.
    Regarding grinders, Foley, Neary, Landpride, Accu-Tec, Brower all make decent units.
    I personally prefer the tower units to the table top units.
    I have a Neary 180 tower unit with the bed knife grinding attachment - it is for sale as I just recently finished a Toro 216-G reel mower grind - and it is for sale too.
    The reason I prefer the tower units over the table tops is when you go to spin grind a crapper unit like a McClane or True-cut, the table top units do not have the flexibility in their adjustments in order to square the reel to the grinding head. The overall increased three dimensional travel of the tower unit allows you to spin grind some seriously whanged out mowers.

10. Lugnut

True, but due to the shape of reels, backlapping compound will run to one end. This will cause more wear on that end and if you backlap for too long or too often this will wear down one side of the reel more than the other causing coning as well.