Any info on the Gravley ZT 1434??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fishinpa, Jun 14, 2005.

1. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I was looking at the dealer today and at $2100.00 it seems too good to be true.

Has anyone demo'd one yet. I've been lurking around here for a few months and just love this site. I was looking for a string trimmer a few months back and you guys, wether you know it or not, helped me select the Echo 210 (from an independent dealer not home cheapo) and I never put out a single post.

So I guess I already owe you guys thanks.... so thanks.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

We sell them here for about the same price. They are a real nice little homeowner mower for the price. They have a good, heavy, fabricated steel deck, not a cheap stamped deck like most homeowner machines have.
    They are a big step above the typical junk they sell at the "big box" stores.
    Plus, I assume you are buying from a dealer, so you should get good support for parts and service.

3. fishinpa

from SE PA

Thanks, anyone else wants to give their $.02, It's sure welcome.

Mowingman:
    Yes, I was at a dealer today and I have to say he appeared to be a hell of a nice guy. He spent 15 - 20 minutes with me while up to his wrists in grease. He's a bit far from home though... maybe 50 miles or so. I hope to find one closer, and hopefully as decent of a human, as this guy seemed to be!

PS: What's "About the same price"? Do you have an idea of about how low I can make an offer and possibly have the dealer take me up on it? I will need a catcher and possibly other accessories too.

4. Mowingman

from Texas

We sell them for 1999.00. However, your dealer may have more in freight than we do, as he is farther from the factory.

5. fishinpa

from SE PA

Anyone else?

Why am I unable to find 1 single review on the web, wether it be by owner or "professional reviewer"???

6. Mowingman

from Texas

I would say you will NOT find a review of 99% of the ZTR mowers made. Other than Consumer Reports, and the ocassional review on this site, nobody routinely reviews mowers like they do automobiles.

7. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

I picked up my 1434 this year and I am pleased so far. I did get an hour meter installed to help with maint. as an extra. I purchased the mower to replace a mower that needed repair after every use. I wanted a more durable and menuverable machine for my small yard

Driving: rather twitchy on the controls , takes some practice to get good at holding a straight line. Side slips easily on any real grade most likely due to the narrow width of the body.

Cut: great. The grass gets chopped up and dispersed so well a mulching kit is almost unneeded. The mulching kit was back ordered and installing it without a lift was a bit of a pain as I was too lazy to pull the whole deck off.

Maint: I have had to adjust the hydro on one side as it was causing a misteer problem possibly due to slippage in the adjuster or just an odd break-in problem.

Fuel usage: seems a bit higher then the ol' murray

So far I am very happy inspite of the hydro adjustment.

8. fishinpa

from SE PA

Lumberjack:
    If I may ask: what to you mean by "had to adjust the hydro"? I understand what the symptom was, but what exactly was the adjustment/resolution?

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I went buy the dealer 2 days ago and looked at the ariens zoom 1434 and the dealer said the gravely and ariens were the same. I think he quoted me like 2599 for the one you sale for 1999. Wish you could ship me one, cant get one here for 1999.

10. Mowingman

from Texas

fishinpa,
    The only adjustment on the hydro steering is a linkage adjustment. This changes the travel on the steering lever so both sides match up on travel speed.
    Quality,
    There is a 1534 that sells for a little more, but it looks just like the 1434. Maybe that is the one they were showing you?