1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any "INSIGHT" on Georgia pesticide test?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FIRESCOOBY, Dec 10, 2007.

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I've got my study materials (general, cat 24 and 27). I also attended the Georgia Turfgrass Assoc seminar last week and spent nearly $300 for classes for the general and cat 24. The total time spent on these two subjects was less than 6 hours and I am somewhat disappointed.

I've been studying on my own also and plan on taking the test either later this month or next month. Can anyone point me to what are more important parts to study in the 600+ pages?

2. Fox Fire

Fox Fire LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

The general part of the test is not so bad. Have a good understanding of the terminology, and have someone quiz you on each chapter. The catagory specific study guide is the one I had trouble with. Be sure you know your turf diseases and pests. You should do all right. You must make at least 70 to pass. By the way, congratulations for being professional enough to get your license.

The turf diseases, pests, and weeds (the most important parts) are the parts that I am concentrating on. It's actually really interesting to me, but I'm having a hard time absorbing it in and defining the differences, etc.
  4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

when i took the ma core exam there was a question asking what the soft feathery antenae of a mosquito is called? Im sitting their thinking who cares i can id a mosquito why do i care what its antenae is called. Oh yeah just in case i am crop dusting i shouldnt fly over water unless its an emergency.
  5. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

As FoxFire said, the general part is a piece of cake. It is straight common sense. The category specific part is the toughest. Make an outline of the different pests, diseases and weeds. If you can pick out distinguishing characteristics of each, the test will be easy. The test seems to be weighted a little heavy towards cool season grasses and diseases.
  6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Some questions are pathetically simple , but some have more than one answer. I didn't think it was particularly difficult , but you need to spend more time on the license specific section - I assume you are taking Turf and Ornamental. The test is computerized multiple choice and you have plenty of time - you can miss 29% and still pass. Good luck.
  7. AustinLawnscape

AustinLawnscape LawnSite Member

I just took & passed the General & Cat 24 tests. I bought the 2 books (Applying Pesticides Correctly & Ornamental & Turfgrass Pest Management) from the county extension office. They also had a DVD that I could borrow (with a deposit).

I studied using the DVD while followed along with the books. I worked through the DVD twice before taking the test. It took about 6 hours per run through the DVD. I also paid special attention to the reviews end of each chapter & "Terms to Know" at the start of chapters in the books.

Good luck on the test. - Ed

Thanks. I may try to get that DVD.

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I set thru a 6 or 8 hour seminar and passed the test on the first try. I was supposed to renew my license this year, but liked one credit having the required 10hrs. Im still fighting that one, I went thru 2 days of classes last year that where supposed to apply toward the credits, but somehow didnt get credit for attending, even tho I got my certification certificates. I had the nine hours before attending this workshop. Either a Ga. Dept of Ag or instructor screwup. Anyways, my license will expire in Feb unless I go thru the entire testing procedure again.