1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

any interesting garbage finds out there

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beaver, Sep 25, 2004.

1. beaver

beaver LawnSite Member

So far this year i found 4 lawnboy lawnmowers a stihl trimmer and thats about it.
    i know theres some garbage pickers out there so tell us what you found. payup
  2. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Found 6 pairs of Levis on the dumpster last year. Talked to the maintenance guy and he said a lady in one of the apartments threw her boyfriend out and then pitched all his stuff in the yard.

They were all in good shape, and just my size!! Took them bad boys to the cleaners and had them laundered. They are now getting used very well on a daily basis.

Best time to go 'dumpster diving' at upscale apartment complexes - At the end of the month when folks are moving in and out.

Never call it garbage - if it is useful then it is tarnished gold!

"Dumpster Diving Champion"
  3. satch

satch LawnSite Member

2 interstate batteries both fit my f150.both were still hot to.
  4. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

4 gas grill type propane tanks all with new over pressure valves. The guy that threw them out said they were all low and he had bought new ones to replace them. Guess he had never heard of having them filled...oh well. payup
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

This spring I was looking at a clean up from an evicted renter .... we do the lawn across from it n the owner has had me service the yard in the past .... sooo he gives me a call

I head over to check it out .... little over grown but this huge pile of stuff is there .... old computer, lamps, bed etc typical stuff .... I'm kinda going thru it .... I knew the tenant also .... there is a box of financial stuff n am thinking ...."that's dumb" to leave this kinda stuff for trash ....got lots of personal numbers in it ... even found where they went .... with a pages of possible homes for rent like in Tenn

Anyways at this time my crew cab guys roll up to do the yard across from this ..... they are hooting "dumpster diver" laughing .... get out n are looking at this pile

In the mean time I go down to grap another pile of paper work when low n behold I see the tip of that Green we all work hard fore .... just the tip but it was instinct to just rip it out in a split secound ..... starring at a fresh Benny ($100)

All of a sudden they are all over the stuff .... NOWS my turn to laugh ....no more hidden $$ thou ... I walk over to the foreman .... give him the Benny n tell him to take his wife out to dinner
  6. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

~~Found an old box of baseball card's,, about 7 years ago,, book value around $25,000., Also the fridge in our shop , been there two years now,, ice cold beer all day long.~~
  7. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers was tossing out a couple real nice shelf units. The shelfs are glass and everything was in great shape. They look real nice in my living room.
  8. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Very classy move, Steve. I'm sure your foreman appreciated the heck outta that !!!
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Strip mall I mow, found a $100. Call my wife while I was eating lunch, told her about it. She asked if I looked around for anymore. I was... nah.... there aren't anymore. Figured after lunch I'd go back and look and low and behold, about 10' from where I found the first one, there's another one! Now I'm looking around like a madman all over the parking lot.

No more. :(

Talked to the guy that picks up garbage at the place 2 times a week, he was all excited to tell me he'd found a $100. His chin dropped when I told him he'd missed 2 others.
  10. Greenservice

Greenservice LawnSite Member

I ran over a $100 bill last Monday with my Z. I saw it at the last minute and tried to stop but couldn't. Luckily it came out in just two pieces and I taped it back together.