any lawn up to 1 acre $35.00, 2 acres 55$

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Mar 20, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the crap that i am reading in my paper today. I swear their is over 15 adds in todays paper for lawn care and i am dumb founded by some of them. Yeah one add actually says any lawn up to 1 acre 35$ and 55$ for 2 acres. Another add say "Lawns cut dirt cheap"....now i know why my phone has cooled off lately.What do you guys to combat these dopes? Im not going to drop my pants but how do you find jobs when you have adds like this in the paper.All i can do is hope people have common sense and realize that you get what you pay for but to be honest i dont think common sense comes into play when it comes to saving money anymore.

2. pvs landscaping

pvs landscaping LawnSite Member
    from mass

In a couple months those fools will be selling their equipment because they will be out of business. You will get their clients also.

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My area has plenty of these. And what makes it so bad is most folks here don't care about quality, just want it done cheap which has made it very difficult to make a living anymore. I refuse to go this low, I'll throw in the towell first. I try to attract folks who want QUALITY, DEPENDABLE lawnservice and not just some fly by night. So far my plan has not worked so well in competing against these lowballers.

4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Hold your ground. They can get the customer, but can they keep em?

5. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

you don't want the customers that call those clowns anyway...they are actually helping you by saving you from bidding on these cheap customers that will never pay the right price.

6. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

I have one of these idiots in my area

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've got an empty feeling in my stomach as well, 1/2 page newspaper ad and I've gotten 1 call so far...
    I won't deny my own attitude hurt me but 1 call... maybe it's still early and I'm hoping things get better.

But ...

This is my dilemma, how does one come out ahead?

8. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's like spring flowers they appear early and are gone when it gets hot. Often times June and July are very busy with phone calls. By then its hot and the low priced competition out to make a few bucks has decided its not worth it. Often customers will hire from ads like those for a few seasons then they look in the phone book and call someone that is really in business.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Lots of freshly laid off folks out there looking for another (ready-?!?) field to switch to...& they're NOT fully realizing the amount of hard work and deication it takes to be an artisan. April/May/June will give them a taste...and a bad taste it will be for any & all slackers. Patience & dedication are just two of the very necessary tools required for our industry.

10. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

It's easy to do lawns that cheap when you have no license or insurance, workers comp any everything else that goes along with an illeagle business.