Any Lawnsite Members using PJ Dump Trailers???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rick13, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'm going to goto my local trailer dealer to buy a dump trailer. They carry PJ , Load Trail, and B&B Dump Trailers.

Anything I should look out for with PJ, Load Trail, or B&B Dump Trailers?

I think I want a 14' to 16' dump trailer and 8' wide. Any options I should ask for?

Thanks for your help and input!!!

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I have a PJ dump trailer.The thing is built like a tank.Very heavy though.Empty pickup and empty trailer and it weights in at 10k

024_21A.jpg

3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

14' and especially a 16 footer are going to be heavy suckers. There was a killer deal on a PJ 16' here locally for a few months and I looked at it and I didnt think my K2500 would pull it well loaded down.

However I found the build to look really good.

4. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Have a 5x10 and love it....

PJ may not be the best you can buy, but personally I think you cannot do better for the money!!!!

I think they are the best deal out there. No complaints here, and the dealer here is top shelf!

gmc293.jpg

5. Rick13

I'm look at the 83" XL Dump (D9) model. I am sure my F250 truck should pull it...plus I don't think I will ever be over 10,000 of material...but I will find out once I get on a scale.

It looks like a very good deal....tax, title, license, etc...$8250.00.

Comes with cold weather package
    10 k jack
    12v battery charger
    tarp and mounting bracket
    12' oc crossmembers
    1 extra pair of d rings
    tarp kit 18 ft x 84 inches (pull bar)
    gravity down (don't need to use your battery to lower dump bed...save battery power)

I think it's a fair price...right?

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Bumper pull or gooseneck ? I have an 18' big tex dual tandem gooseneck, 25k gvw. I love it. I want a 24fter too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Rick13

Well, I bought it from N.I.T.E. Equipment in Pecatonica, Illinois. It's pretty loaded and they are looking to see if the can mount a vibrator to the dump bed (just like some dump trucks have installed on them). The sale rep. said it would take a few days to put a kit together...and if its not too much, I will have them throw that on before I pick it up.

Thinking of added wooden sides extensions...going to see how much my buddy will charge me to Line-X them in UV Red!!!

Once I pick up the little beast I will post a picture. And thanks to everyone on helping me decide on what I should by also.

8. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

I have the 20' PJ dually tandem. Empty it weighs 9000 and I've had it grossing at 27,000 before. If you go with a 16 or 20' spend the extra money to have it come with electric over hydraulic disc brakes. I swapped out my brakes and it was a $3800 upgrade.

9. Rick13

For the side extensions on the dump trailer, do you think I should:

a. pressure treated wood, then spray Red UV Line-X

b. buy plastic/composite deck boarding, like Trek

c. pressure treated wood, then prime and paint red

I'm looking for something sharp, will last a long time, easy to remove, but able to handle dumping, dirt, rocks, tree branches, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

10. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Reg treated material is your best bet. IMO I wouldn't waste the money of line-x since the boards get beat up and are easy replaceable. Composite material is super heavy and not near as strong as 2x material. Good luck.