Any lawyers around?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GravyTrain, Dec 30, 2006.

1. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at naming my company after my favorite sports team. The catch is, I have no desire to use their logo or font, but I don't want to use the name and colors. I'm a life fan of the Oakland Raiders and was going to name my company Raider Lawn Care. (my dog's name is also Raider).

My question is this, is there any legal problems with me using the word "Raider" in my name. To this point, I can't think of anything, for example, Texas Tech college has the mascot "Red Raiders", and i'm sure there are no legal problems there.

Finally, I would think this would be no different from using the name of "Cowboy Lawns" or "Falcon Lawns" etc etc....(which brings up a point "Falcon Jet" vs. "Atlanta Falcons")

Anyways, I would really appreciate any insight into this problem. I've there are any doubters, I have no problem with actually getting the advice of a lawyer, but would like to save as much as I can as I'm obviously just starting up.
  2. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

im for sure not an attorney.. but i cant see there being a problem seeing as its a normal word you can find in the dictionary and i dont think you can trademark "raiders" donald trump tried trademarking "youre fired" with zero success

and even if u did i dont think the raiders organization would come after you for anything unless you turned it into a nationwide thing and physically said you where affiliated with the oakland raiders..

CALL A REAL ATTORNEY THEY WILL Answer it in a second i dont think lawnsite has to many lawyers/landscapers on here
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

4. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

you will be fine. First, you are not using their full name. second you are not in competition with them in the same industry. if the name is available where you live go for it.

that being said, i don't know if it conveys a great image. JMHO

raid·er /ˈreɪdər/ Pronunciation Key - –noun
    1. a person or thing that raids.
    2. a commando, ranger, or the like, specially trained to participate in military raids.
    3. a light, fast warship, aircraft, etc., used in such a raid.
    4. a person who seizes control of a company, as by secretly buying stock and gathering proxies.
    5. Informal. a person who works within an organization for the purpose of gathering evidence of wrongdoing.

[Origin: 1860–65; raid + -er1] Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
  5. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

I'm a top criminal defense attorney that wants to start my own lawn service. When I go to my office on Weds. I'll call my friend Irving...He's a trademark infringement attorney and he'll be able to answer your question... I'll get back to you..
  6. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

What the? you are kidding right? Why in the sam he!! do you want to get into this?:dizzy:
  7. Cracker Station

Cracker Station LawnSite Member

:hammerhead: OMG I am the top lawn care provider in my area and I am going to be the top criminal defense lawyer on tuesday
  8. gary6768

gary6768 LawnSite Member

I enjoy working in the outdoors... Love the fresh air...
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

How about McMowing? Hundreds served lol
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I dunno I hear Al Davis is a LS member...better hope he doesn't read this thread!! :laugh:

I don't see how using just "Raider" would be a problem...