Any life left in these tracks?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Boondox, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Boondox

Boondox LawnSite Member

A two year old Kubota U35 mini-excavator with 650 hours on it just came up for sale locally. It appears to be in decent shape except for a dent on the left side and some pretty worn looking tracks. Both are shown in the photo. The tracks really surprised me because I've seen excavators with 1500 hours on them with better looking tracks.

What's the verdict? Will these need to be replaced?

2. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

They will need to be replaced eventually, all tracks will. the part that looks the worst is where the drive gear rub the tracks. I've seen worse. I'd run 'em for a while, just keep the money to replace them on hand for when they go.
  3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Very hard to tell with rubber. If there are no deep cuts and the tracks are staying tight, they might last longer than you would suspect. I put a USED track on an ex-60 3 or 4 years ago, it actuallly looked worse tread wise than the one I replaced but, its still in service today. Running them on pavement sometimes makes the tread look horrible but internaly they might be fine.
  4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

plenty of life...when the metal actually starts poking out through the rubber is when you should replace them
  5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Boondox, from that one pic the tracks look darn good. There are metal cords running through the rubber tracks - one about 3" from the outside edge and one about 3" from the inside edge ( I believe thats a close approximation) and when those show or break it is time for new rubber bands. I would be more concerned about where that hydraulic oil is coming from...check underneath and see if the pan is dry....650 hrs isnt bad at all........I would also look for nicks on the hydraulic cylinders, leaking cylinders, etc.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

They are not worn smooth yet so lots of life left :laugh:

I have seen worse some of the minis I seen at Ritchie Bros auctions the rubber tracks are barely holding together.
  7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I also agree there is nothing wrong with those tracks. If I were to guess, that machine has been involved in some demo jobs or concrete removal. You should be able to get a lot of life out of them provided you did your part. What conclusions did you come to on the conventional verse zero tail configuration.
  8. Boondox

Boondox LawnSite Member

In an ideal world I would be able to find a KX91-3 Canopy version. It's just a bit wider than the underpowered KX71-3 but outspecs it by over a ton of bucket curl and 700# of dipperstick force, outlifts and just generally outperforms it. The KX121 is too wide for me. So is the U35.

While I really like the ZTS machines (the U35 outspecs the KX91 nicely) after snowshoeing my woods yesterday I realized what a pain that extra 6 inches of width would be for me. If I can't find a gently used 91 anywhere, and am forced to choose between the 71 and the 35, I would probably go with the KX71.

I'd miss the extra power, but since this is just for managing my own property I could take my time and not overstress the machine.