any long term health risks?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by The Curious Porpoise, Sep 20, 2005.

1. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

are there any known long term health risks that landscapers face? i was just thinking the other day, breathing in all those gas fumes from my mower can't be helpin' my chances of dodging cancer

while "opinions" and "guesses" are welcome, i'd be interested in some cold hard facts like any studies that have been conducted...

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

No cold hard facts but.... Back problems are the number 1 problem for landscapers IMO. Been there done that!
    For the LCO/L scaper... Back problems, potential skin cancer and industrial deafness, premature ageing not to mention the pulled muscles! Then there heat related problems like heat stroke and dehydration etc.

It isnt the safest business to get into but on the other hand it is one of the healthiest with all the walking and light lifting (mowing) we do. (did see something on tv about it) Just have to manage or be aware of the potential problems that may occur and take due care.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dont forget hearing....

Wear ear protection,

4. ritchiem

ritchiem LawnSite Member

When operating a vibrating piece of equipment for a long period of time (trimmer, stone saw etc...) you white blood cells seperate causing your hands to fall asleep (or at least that is the feeling)...over time your hands can be sensitive to cold (painfull at times), numbness, and just fall asleep for no reason. This is called something, but I do not remember.

Make sure to wear anti-vibration gloves to protect yourself from this.

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

WHAT??? SPEAK UP!!

Yep, I think that and the back are the biggest problems. Blown my back out twice in three years. Once in the middle of a job. Kind of embarasing when the customer has to call your wife cause you are lying in the middle of there driveway and can't move.... :dizzy:

6. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

what are these anti-vibration gloves u speak of and where do i find 'em?

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I can think of a few...back problems, knee problems, irate customers, drinking too much in the idle winter months, etc.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

That was a summer thing this year as the EMPLOYEES were the biggest hit to my health. :dizzy:

Num hands after operating the walk behind for a long time can be helped a lot by MECHANIX, or IRONCLAD gloves. Expect to pay for good stuff, $25-35.00.

Look up Ben Meadows or Gemplers to get good selection.

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I believe you are referring to "carpal tunnel syndrome". Yep, I have a mild case of it.

Ditto on hearing loss. I wear hearing protection religiously, alway have.

Really though, I don't think there is anything radically different about landscaping than most other work. The "health risks" listed in this thread can be applied to many other types of work.

10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of dangers in this business,you have to take it easy and take care of yourself. My doctor always says "you guys that work outside live forever". He said my blood pressure was that of a 17 year old, which surprised me, considering some of the things my employees do.