any luck with temp agencies?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bobbygedd, Mar 16, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how much does it usually cost for an employee thru a temp service? and have you had any luck with them?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Are you looking for someone semi-sober that looks homeless? I used to mow a place like that. Every morning they stand outside and wait to be picked. What do they do different when the 2 guys with blowers come towards them? Nothing. I had never seen people watch you blow, as you are blowing towards them. I was dumbfounded.

3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a few. Had to pay about $11 per hour. That included their pay, workers comp and taxes. I will only use them to spread mulch. They are not the smartest peanuts in the turd.

4. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

You don't get the cream of the crop, thats for sure. But if all you need is mindless labor, like for doing a big mulch job, go for it.

I am sure there are good people to be had, but they are few and far between.

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do some work occasionally for a sales rep for Labor Ready. We sat down and went over some numbers last year. They bill out theyre laborers at $10 an hour. For that price they take care of everything, workmans comp, taxes and anything that goes into having an employee they bare the expence of. They also will drop off and pick up they're guys at your jobsite.

I never did end up using them yet. I dont know how well it would work for lawn maintenance. If I ever needed help on a large Landscaping install I might give them a shot. I also have a friend who runs a large logistics company in Texas. They use temp labor from Labor Ready and ManPower all the time. He told me you can talk those companies down in price some if you use them often enough.

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I had a hard time paying $11.++ an hour for a dead beat. If you could get someone that was just half productive you might make it work. Not me. Everyday was a training session, Had to start all the hand helds for him...every time. Cig's and phone constantly.....no brains or they were fried like an egg.

A very good concept if you could get a good one and keep him but most temp workers seem to be lazier than dirt and afraid of the sun.

7. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I know I will be criticized for this, but yesterday I had 140 bales of pine needles to put out. It rained here today so it had to be finished yesterday. I just went by the homeless shelter here in town and picked up 3 decent guys. Let them ride in the back of the truck. I paid them $7 an hour and bought them lunch. Needles were spread in just over 4 hours and all I did was pick up the strings and rake the edges in. Not somthing I would do everyday but it sure worked out ok for me yesterday in a pinch

8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't, but know of others who have used labor ready. As noted before - not the brightest bulbs in the circuit.

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used temp agencies on occasion. Not worth it. Its either too hot, cold, wet, not what they thought or some Latin American holiday so they want to go home...Never again.

Also, when I did call the local branch of Labor Ready they promised me 6 workers by 8am and couldn't get one there...

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Think of it like this, they are too lazy of dumb to go out and actually get a job or start a business venture of their own. Do you think they are going to jump and want to work??? I worked at a greenhouse a few years ago and the owner tried using a temp service for busy times. HA, we were honestly better off without them. If nothing else, since we weren't the ones paying them, we got to laugh at them. they all thought they were gangsters and thugs. I guess maybe they were tough around their peers, the rest of the hopeless losers...

It's sad, but there are people out there that are legitmetly down on their luck and have had to resort to going to a temp service to find work to pay their bills and take care of their families. I have seen that scenereo too. these people are hard working and will do anything. They are out there, but usually they get heald onto by the first employer that finds them!