any machine you own that'll last forever?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnywill08, Jul 2, 2008.

1. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

i've got a great dane (meh), stander (pretty solid) and various other equip that i can just tell has a definitive shelf life, no matter how well i treat it. but every time i work on my exmark metro 21" push mower, i just think the damthing will last forever. it starts and sounds awesome and still cuts very well. its 6 yrs old and in mint condition (just with oil chgs etc).

before i start to sound like an exmark rep, i'm just curious, what do you guys own that has just held up phenomenally well (without like an engine replacemtn, major rebuild, etc).

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Don't do it! AS soon as you start bragging or thinking good thoughts about your equipment, it dies:laugh::cry:

3. CLL Lawn and Landscaping

CLL Lawn and Landscaping LawnSite Member

I had a 52 inch Exmark that lasted me around 7 or 8 years.

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Bought my 1st shindaiwa trimmer in '99. Run it extremely hard every year. Still runs great 9 years later.

5. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

son of a B, you're right!!!!! i did NOT think of that.... knocks on wood....:hammerhead:

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I think my Dixon is going to last for ever. I use it quite a bit, but the hour meter has been on 1062.6 all season... at this rate it's never gonna have to be replaced because of high hours (quality of cut, or lack there of, may get it sent down the road though).

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i have had no major problems with with Hustler yet(1 belt,1blade spindle)its a 2004

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ive got an old Long 360 tractor built in the 1970's. Had to put a injector pump on it a couplle of years ago. She still runs like new and only burn 1 quart of fuel an hour. No oil leaks eighter.

I bought a Snapper 21" with a Robin engine in 2001. Oil changes and a couple of air filters, still has origional spark plug, the whole machine is as tight as new. I wish I would have installed a hour meter on her when I bought it, its flat out cut some grass.

9. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Correct. Knock on wood and the wood splinters to pieces.

My shindaiwa T270 lasted 8 seasons of parmanent use. A push mower with a robin 4-stroke lasted very long as well.

I also have a very very old stihl chainsaw I only use like 50hrs/year - that will probably last forever.

Its those things that get little use, are easy and cheap to service and forgiving to use that end up as longtime keepers.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

93 toro 32 t bar-orig eng,trans and spindle 87 comm snapper 21 w/robin 91 honda 215 hydro -toro suzuki 1990-still running- 80.s greenmachine back pack blower. 1994 sthil br400-used every day! -still runnung