Any Mainers out there who can help?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MOWEMJEFF, Mar 31, 2008.

1. MOWEMJEFF

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought my new trailer and it's a 6.5x14. I'm trying to figure out what the law is pertaining to trailer brakes. I was under the impression that only double axles needed them but now I'm being told a new law went into effect last September saying commercial trailers need them reguardless of size, even the place I bought the trailer from doesn't know so they called the DOT for me and they couldn't even tell them. Please any insight on this would be great.

2. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

I was not aware of any laws taking effect. However, to my knowledge, trailer brakes are dependent on the GVWR of the trailer and not on the number of axles. Anything over 3k needed brakes (although anything with two axles is probably over that limit anyway.

Your post about this new law peaked my interest so I mosied on over to the states website to look it up. That site has the worst organization. I finally gave up and plan to call the state tomorrow (I have a few other questions I've been saving up). Incidentally, this information would come from the secretary of states office and not DOT.

3. JimmyStew

Correction - I found this in the online statues...

Special mobile equipment or a truck, truck tractor, trailer or semitrailer must be equipped with adequate brakes acting on all wheels of all axles, except that the following need not meet this requirement:

A. A trailer or semitrailer not exceeding a gross weight of 3,000 pounds; [1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 (NEW); 1993, c. 683, Pt. B, §5 (AFF).]

No other amendments to the provision are listed and the statues are up to date as of December 31, 2007 so...

4. MOWEMJEFF

thats what I read too...but there was also another law in there that said the axle weight of the trailer can't weigh more then 40% of both axles of your truck if its only a single axle trailer.

5. JimmyStew

I can't imagine that is an issue, especially if you are hauling with a full size pickup. The utility trailer I bought last year had a GVWR of 2990 (it actually has 3k axles on it but...). In which case the truck would have to weigh 7500 pounds. I'm fairly certain that any 1/2 ton pickup weighs in at that or more. Also consider, 2990 is the maximum weight capacity of the trailer. My 7x12 weighs 1080lbs so its load capacity is almost 2000lbs - thats 1 ton of weight. The numbers on your 6.5x14 should be in the same ballpark and if the weight of your cargo is putting you over those numbers you should probably consider a trailer with 2 axles regardless of the state law.

6. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Get it from the horse's mouth, Call the local State Highway patrol post.

7. MOWEMJEFF

Ya my trailer is in the same ballpark as yours and I have a load capacity of 1908lbs which I'm not worried about going over (1 walker and 1 walk behind). I also read that reguardless of trailer size if you can't go from 20mph to a stop in less then 53.9 feet(dont ask me where they come up with these numbers) you need trailer brakes. So I don't know what to believe I just know in 2 weeks when all the snows gone I want to be totally legal.

And as for getting it from the horses mouth I spent 15 minutes on hold yesterday and when I finally talked to a trooper he said he works at truck weigh stations and couldn't answer my question and "your guess is as good as mine" and to send him an email and he'd get back to me when he could answer my questions.

I spoke to my teacher today on the matter whos the city arborist and he says the best thing to do is to call them and have them come to me and go through a safety checklist and he says whenever he has called them they have never written him up for anything because he has shown the inititive to correct anything that might be wrong. Personally this scares me because I don't want them to say that I need to do all these things that are gonna cost me $$$$ to be legal. At the same time I've been pulled over by DOT before going solo and they only wrote us up for one mower not being strapped in and not wearing a seat belt and my setup is WAY safer then theirs.

8. corbster

from OHIO

Strange, If he works at the weigh station then it's his job to know what is the specs. are for all trailers....that's his job! I would call the local highway patrol and ask to speak to the Sergeant on duty.

9. MOWEMJEFF

Ya the the place I bought the trailer from the guy giving inspections said one thing and the owner/salesman said another and thats what started the whole debate. Each of them said a person from DOT gave them their information so they're trying to figure it out too.:dizzy:

10. corbster

from OHIO

Have you seen this link,
    http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/commercial/farmvehicles.htm

Also here is the # for Size and Weight Limits
    (207) 624-9000 ext. 52134 for Maine.