Any members work between Charlston, SC and Savannah, Ga?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lakegastonla, Jan 17, 2001.

1. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone is in this area? I posted this in the off topic forum, and Toroguy was the only responder.(thank you toroguy) Really need to talk to someone in or around the area.

2. A CUT ABOVE

A CUT ABOVE LawnSite Member

I do some work between Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA.
    What do you need to know?

3. lakegastonla

I am probably going to move from NC to Savannah within a month or two. Here, we grow mostly turf-type tall fescue, and centipede grass. Also, I don't know a thing about palmetto trees(except they go manganese deficient).
    Also, my mowers are fixed deck walk behinds, so I am afraid they will not cut bermuda grass(or whatever you guys grow there)very well. Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Also, is there a lesco store in the area? Sorry for all the questions, but I need info on local vegetation.

thanks!
    kev

4. lakegastonla

A cut above, are you still out there? Haven't heard from you an the Savannah thing since I replied last. I can't e-mail you, cause you did not check that option.

kev

5. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

Kev,
    Your fixed decks will do fine.You will be cutting bahia,beremuda,and st. augustine down in savannah.Just keep your blades sharpened everyday.I know there is a lesco dealer in the area because one of my supplier buys up there.And your don`t want to know about palmettos.Let me know if i can help more.
    Dave

6. Banzaitoy

Banzaitoy LawnSite Member

I'm in Aiken SC. 1.5 hours from Charleston

7. lakegastonla

With the warm season grasses being the norm down there, when does your season begin and end?(we aerate,seed fert. in march and cut through november here in NC with cool season grasses mostly)
    Also, how many fert apps do you do per year? Is reseeding neccecary or mainly plugging?

8. Starling Lawn

Our mowing season runs late Feb. until mid Dec.If a customers has irrigation,we cut year round.
    Fert. apps. are 5 to 7 times a yr.We don`t overseed since st aug.comes from sprigs,plugs or sod.
    Dave

9. lakegastonla

With the reseeding, I was talking about bermudagrass. I don't have much experience with warm season grasses, but I am reading everything I can get my hands on. Since the warm grasses come in so dense, is it neccessary to use a pre-emergant or weed&feed application? When is the best time to aerate warm season turf?

Thanks for the help!!
    Kev

10. Starling Lawn

Kev,
    use a pre-emer.in feb.,weed &feed for 1st app in string.We usually aerate spring and fall.DE-thatching is also a good idea once a year with warm season grasses.
    Dave