any millionaires?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DreamBig:LiveBigger, Sep 29, 2003.

1. DreamBig:LiveBigger

DreamBig:LiveBigger LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if any of you guys have turned your business into a million dollar industry or if anyone has serious plans to, like me. There is a company around my way that has 7 crews mowing 1,300 - 1,500 lawns a week at an average of $30-$35 a cut. He also has mulching crews that do countless mulch jobs. And I actually got ahold of one of his proposals for a job and found he is getting $110 per cubic yard of mulch. He is raking it in.
    Suddenly my 83 customers seem like nothing:(

2. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

How long has this guy been in business? What kind of competition is around the area?

3. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

what company is that in pa.? can you send that estimte that you saw fro that company also thanks rats5656@aol.com

4. DreamBig:LiveBigger

DreamBig:LiveBigger LawnSite Member

From what I hear this guy has been in business since he was 12 years old. I believe he is in his 40's now. The company name is Nickett's. We are located in the suburbs north of Philadelphia (very rich area), specifically Bucks County. After looking for 10 minutes I still can't find that proposal but when I find it I will send it. The competetion around here is a lot of small companies like me but I'm only 19 and still have tons of growing to do. I'm at 83 customers now and won't stop till I've reached my goal. I won't tell you guys my goal because it might blow you out of the water. Other then the small companies there are a few larger companies that mow a couple hundred lawns but nothing compared to Nickett's. He's the man around here for now, till I get a couple more years under my belt.

5. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

The only difference between me and that Nickett's LCO is:

I'm still working on my 1st million $$ ;)

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

I found this. Maybe it will help inspire other's from their success.

[​IMG]

7. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

There used to be a guy in my area who was def. a millionaire. He had to have at least 15 to 20 crews from cutting, planting, pavers, sprinklers, etc. He is almost bankrupt now, he tried changing his company focus to big time excavating and contracting and is losing his shirt.... Its ashame to see what his business turned into....

8. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

That exact same thing happened to a guy in my are as you described JML. He had a huge maintenance company and tried to switch to excavating and lost it all. Now you only see him mentioned in the papers for bouncing checks.

9. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

Haha, our guy made the paper for tax evasion, and attempting to bribe a councilman..... He was even listed in the top 100 lco's. a few years ago I think he was like in the #60's....

10. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

We have several companies in our area who the owners are well over a million a year salary. More than 10+ companies in our small area doing 8-18 million a year in sales. The lady who was doing my sales for me had worked for a large landscape company in which the 2 owners were paying them self 1.7 million each per year salary.