1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

any movers?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by John P., Aug 24, 2005.

1. John P.

John P. LawnSite Senior Member

i was curious to see if any of you guys offer local moving as an extra service?
  2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

For sure better have business liability insurance and workmans comp for that. Box truck with lift gate too.
  3. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

Should have that anyway bra. If you are hurting for money and are responsible enough handling other peoples items then go fer it. Where I live it seems to be a foreigner way to make money. Money is money. May be down the road you can franchise it out along with your LCO.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We don't offer it as an 'extra' per say, but last year we moved some furtiture for a client in August cause we were slow and could use the extra money. It was a risk b/c I'm sure my insurance company wouldn't have covered damage but I had an agreement (although verbal) about not responsible for damages and the like.

Made a few hundred bucks for about 2hrs worth of work.

This year had a client ask me to seal his driveway...ya know...would I do it. I told him I would but I'm a little busy this year and don't have the time. He said no problem he just wanted to ask me first.

So the answer is no, we don't offer it as an 'extra' service but we will do 'odd' things if things are slow or we want to make some extra mulla for the month.
  5. farmerphilco

farmerphilco LawnSite Member

I sell the stuff and I don't know for certain, but I do believe that a person needs to have insurance that specifies that they are furniture movers and bailees. My grandfather used to own a trucking company back a lonf time ago, and my grandma was telling me how when he would haul furniture, he would have the customer write him a receipt for the furniture to get around this need. I do not know if it is still like this but I will try to find out.