Any mower companies using the new 34hp Vanguard 950cc 3-cyl EFI gas???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Feb 18, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I'm at the Briggs school this week and we were all drooling over the new 3-cylinder Vanguard gassers. These things are really light and compact! Imagine a 950cc liquid-cooled EFI putting out 34hp and 57lb-ft....! Talk about a balance of power and efficiency! And it really doesn't take up much real estate at all.

It's on the same platform as their diesels. They also have a propane option. I thought they looked pretty impressive personally, and I wonder what companies will jump on the bandwagon...

2. advantage landscapes

advantage landscapes LawnSite Member

Scag is using a 31 hp diesel I believe......... but I have not seen the 34 hp but that's a lot of power!

3. tb8100

from TX

They did away with the Saber Toothed Tiger for 2008. :cry:

But that was a diesel. I'm talking about a GAS power plant!

4. advantage landscapes

advantage landscapes LawnSite Member

maybe on the exmark z's?

5. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering a vangaurd big block I hope it is really all they say it is

6. tb8100

from TX

They are. Demo a Bad Boy or a Scag with one. It is an absolute BEAST of an engine.

7. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I have a good friend who has an Encore Prowler with the 31hp three cylinder dihatsu gas engine he likes it alot! He has been running it hard for 6 or 7 yrs. and it just starts and goes!

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a vertical or horizontal shaft engine?

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

That should be the cat's meow, wonder what mowers they will go on.

They are jumping ahead of the competition with this engine. A fuel injected 34 will fill as powerful as a 37 or 38 hp carburetor engine because it is so much more responsive.

QUOTE:

Briggs & Stratton Commercial Power will offer its first engines equipped with electronic fuel injection (EFI) in 2007. The new gasoline-powered EFI model will be an extension of the company's Vanguard 3/LC three-cylinder, liquid-cooled engine line.

Developed in conjunction with Daihatsu, the 34 hp Vanguard 3/LC EFI engine is capable of delivering increased fuel economy--up to 30% fuel savings, depending on duty cycle--with increased responsiveness at all engine speeds. The EFI system automatically adjusts engine settings in real time for quick, no-choke cold starts and to compensate for altitude and environmental variables. This provides optimized power and drivability in a variety of conditions, Briggs said.

Engine Technology

The Vanguard 3/LC EFI employs a 32-bit engine control unit (ECU) designed to provide responsive performance with enhanced drivability. Onboard diagnostics built into the ECU provide quick, accurate troubleshooting for reduced equipment downtime, Briggs said, and all ECU and EFI components in the Vanguard 3/LC system have been proven through use in automotive applications.

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm glad to see EFI big blocks coming out now.