1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any negatives to having an enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cozymonkey, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Shoreline

Shoreline LawnSite Member

I have an 8X16 enclosed and really regret not getting one with a V nose. Fuel economy is horrendous for me right now and it's harder on the transmission with any amount of wind. I still need to build some shelves inside the trailer to get stuff off the floor but that's about it.

Whatever you do, absolutely get a V nose and get the ramp as the back door.
  2. bobhardt

bobhardt LawnSite Member

Amen on the Gatorade bottle!:laugh:
  3. dtford

dtford LawnSite Member
    from 02338

always loved the idea of the enclosed trailer, and have toyed with it for years. Most of my buddies in the biz have them. I run Walkers and have a custom built with 2 ramps, 1 goes into the truck and 1 going into the trailer. we take alot of grass, and I'm too old to be lugging barrels. I like being able to back my mower into the truck bed and dump, but that's just me
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We use both on large HOA properties and prefer open trailers all day long. All of the equipment on open trailer is locked so the only thing they could get is gas or hand tools and we haven't had any loss in 10 years. The blowers and trimmers and chain saws are in the 2ft x 2ft cage and the trimmers are
    all on individual locks off the side. We lock the tail gates up if there are mowers not being used that are on the trailer. The big advantage on the closed trailer is not needed to cover it every time you think it is going to rain. The air drag on those are terrible and .....towing truck used fuel big time.We operate on the idea that we don't take all of our belonging with us so our trailer are on the smaller side.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

with an enclosed you wouldnt have to load and unload at the end of every day. just park ther trailer wherever and its set for the next day
  6. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would love a enclosed, besides the hassle of fuel and such, other than that, it seems like a great investment. And Id leave all my stuff in it!! Much easier than loading every day!!
  7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

love my enclosed!! i kept my open for hauling crap~
  8. collegefundms

collegefundms LawnSite Member

For the fueling problem I went to Norther Tool and they had two L shaped 45gal fuel tanks for like $300 and they fit perfectly together so one is diesel and one gas. But you can also just buy one big one.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Get yourself about 3-4 gas stations to mow. Then when you're at the stations mowing each week, you fill up the mowers. Kill two birds with one stone.