Any new marketing ideas to share?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tinman, Mar 12, 2005.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

We all see the basics: fliers, classifieds, YP, letters, signs, etc. Has anyone been thinking about truly different ideas to get people to notice their company? Whether it be a new slant on old ways to advertise or something that may sound dumb but could work because it is so differrent.
    We all get blasted with hundreds of ads everyday so we are really almost immune to them. I'd just like to see everyones thoughts on this.

I'll throw one out. Instead of a regular sign. I'm thinking about a sign that appears to hang without anything directly attatched to it. Like a frame with clear thin cable (heavy duty fishing line type) hanging down & holding the sign. Just to make the sign appear out of the ordinary & enough to catch the eye of a potential client.

Another one I read in INC magazine , a company left 5000 wallets in a subway station with their business card in it. Thought that was pretty original but certainly costly..

Thanks

2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you have seen my other threads on marketing ideas I have tried... you probably don't want to hear my thoughts. :)

David

3. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

One thing that i do that is not real rocket science but works is i will leave on of our trucks or tailers parked on abusy road in a parking lot facing the main road. I leave it there for a day and pick it up at night. i recieve 2 calls everytime.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have a grain truck (my leaf truck) that I am going to put a 4' X 8' sign on the side. Go down to the local gas station on a busy road and park it in a prime spot. Tell the owner that it broke down and I will be a couple days before I can get a part for it. I am sure he wouldn't mind.....I buy all my fuel from him. Now that I am reading about "pink" vehicles....I might wait until I paint it........but not pink!!!
    Might go with a bright yellow or something.

5. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

I have an idea, sneak up and put your phone number over top of the one on the other guys truck logo while its parked there in that killer spot.

(im all suited up for the flamies!)

6. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I had an idea a few months ago that I posted. I'd like to try and offer a special day of discounted mowing to my target neighborhood. Charge 4 or 5 bucks a lawn and tell everyone in the neighborhood it is only offered on this special day. Most people will take it hopefully, then you end up doing 30+ lawns in the same neighborhood. This will generate lots of "buzz" within the neighborhood and will allow EVERYONE to see what kind of beautiful work you are capable of.

7. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

If my mowing sux then what?

8. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Oh i don't know why i didnt say this before i give company t shirts away too. That has worked alot.

I have a younger brother that is still in high school and i tell his friends that if they get me any jobs i will give them 5% of the total job. Last year I have scored one condo complex, One full landscape install, and a residential property.

Jason

9. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Best one I use is word of mouth I have a very good reputation for what I do, not only lawns but the rest of the business as well. I work on the EFM plan. My total business is a little different than many of you, but it is based on the last name of my business. Services. My people know that whatever their needs are, all they have to do is call one person, me. I do realize that my location probably differs from most of you, but that is what works for me.

10. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

Whats the efm plan ?