Any New Opinions/Demo's on Lastec Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Razorblades, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been researching the Lastec Mowers, mainly the 61" deck models,both the fixed deck and the articulating deck models. I've also read all of the info on the previous threads on Lastec Mowers. In some of the previous posts,there were a few members of this group that said they hoped to demo a Lastec Mower in the future. So I'm asking if any of you have demo'ed or bought a Lastec Mower since the old threads on this subject ended? I also would like to know if you've heard any recent reports or gotten any feedback from anyone that has tried one out or bought one. I'm thinking about buying one of the above mentioned models, and I appreciate any responses on the subject. Thanks,PC

2. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I just bought the 61" with the articulating deck. I've mowed 2 weeks now and so far I love it. I can mow most anywhere that my 44" mowers mow without the scalping or gouging that my fixed deck 52" mowers do. It really throws the grass so I end up going 3 laps around the buildings to avoid blasting them. It is really saving me time.

3. Razorblades

Thanks for the response Bart, I was beginning to think no one cared(haha). Seriously, if you don't mind another question or two; What engine did you go with, the Kohler 28 efi or the generac or is there another option? How would you rate the quality of the cut compared to anything else you've used? Have you had to cut any thick/tall wet grass yet? Do you have an idea of your GPH fuel usage yet? Thanks again, PC

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I know this is nothing like what you're looking for, but tomorrow (5-2) I'm demoing a 721XR. It's the 12' PTO pull behind.

Again, like I said, it's nothing like what you're looking for, but it IS a Lastec unit, so I'll give you some feedback on how I think it's built, anyways.

5. bart may

from montana

I have the 28 efi. Right now we are cutting wet tall bluegrass and fescue. I am noticing some weird stuff right now in the thick stuff. I'm getting a ridge of taller grass between the decks. I notice it more on turning rather than going straight. It might be excessive buildup. I also think I might need to tinker with leveling. I really do like the concept and it seems wierd to mow with a fixed deck now. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 28 though, it gives it a workout.

6. Razorblades

Bart, did you figure out the "excessive buildup" problem that you mentioned in your last post? Were the ridges you spoke of, uncut strips of grass or just build up? Does the 28 EFI Kohler seem more fuel efficient than the engines that you've had on previous comparably sized mowers?

7. bart may

from montana

I think that the build up is just a matter of thick grass I'm cutting. When you slow down you don't see it. If the grass isn't real deep you can cut fast and clean. I haven't noticed a big difference in the fuel consumption from my other mowers. I'm guessing in the 1.5 gallon/hour range. We are cutting some thicker wet grass though.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I demoed a 96 or 90 inch cut maybe 3 years back- it cut wonderful and smooth just as promised, no scaplping on bumpy stuff. It had a big diesel engine, a kubota 38 horse I think. I'm sure the smaller will work fine for you. good luck-

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

David
    How did you like the offset on the deck:cool2:

10. Razorblades

Hey Bart, (or anyone else that is using a Lastec mower) Are you still satisfied with the Lastec mower, as far as quality of cut and reliability of the machine?Did you ever get rid of the excessive buildup problem that you mentioned previously? I'm getting very close to buying one,(a 33 hp Generac powered 61" cut demo with about 85 hrs and full warranty) for around $8500.00. That would include any "freshening up", i.e. fluid and filter changes, new blades, and any deck adjustments needed. Does this sound like a good,OK, or bad deal.I know that there are some who aren't too fond of the Generac engines and parts availability has been a problem for some, but since I'm not a Fulltime Commercial Cutter it won't likely be an issue for me as I Do have a Back up mower, which is the mower that I currently use on these properties now.Also, I know the 33 HP Generac has a reputation of using alot of gas (although I doubt if it would use much more than a 32 HP Big Block Vanguard) but again, since this is just part time work for me, I'm not as concerned with fuel consumption as you guys that use ZT's fulltime. I'm more impressed with the Very High Torque #'s that the engine puts out and it seems that Generac has gotten any issues with this engine worked out, according to some of the posts and different threads that I've read. I guess this LAST question should be a new thread but I'll ask anyway--- HAS anyone out there used similar mowers i.e. same size deck, similar Hyd. pumps and Hyd wheel motors etc., one with the 31 or 32 hp Big Block Vanguard and the other mower with the 32 or 33 HP Generac? If you did,which did engine performed the best and was there a noticable difference in Fuel Consumption? Any other comments about differences noticed between the engines after using mowers powered by these engines would be appreciated. Thanks up front! PC