Any new opinions on the B&S Vanguard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mac V2.0, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

Ive just finished reading all the old threads pertaining to the B&S Vanguard engine. Im curious if anyone has anything new to add. The overall feeling i get from the past is that the vanguards are good engines, can anyone give me actual testimony otherwise? Id also like to hear actual praise for them as well. Thanks.
  2. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

the B&s vangaurd I have on 2 of my older gravely pro 50's have gotten more life then any other motor I've owned.
  3. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

Vanguard 18 hp on an exmark 52 viking. 975 hours and not even a hiccup--highly recommended motor IMHO---Mike
  4. PrecisionLandService

PrecisionLandService LawnSite Member

stick with honda... they are the best I would never buy a briggs..... I get hondas on everything
  5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Yeah, I would always buy Honda, if given the choice. BUT, of all the Vangard owners I've ever talked to, (and some were dealer's personal equipment) say the are the most under-rated motor out there. (never owned one personally.....just hear-say)
  6. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

The Vanguards are the top of the line motors that Briggs makes,

They are excelent motors, I like mine alot.
    Metro you are correct, these things are under rated, but hey- you could buy one and save some $$ over the kawi or kohler.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have one on my 16hp leaf loader and have not had any problems to date. Then again, I don't have many hours on it either. Most what I have heard from others have always been good.
  8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

stick with honda... they are the best I would never buy a briggs

I do like the Hondas but you pay a lot more for them. I too would never own a Briggs the old 11s and 8s were garbage the quote 100-hour motor. But the vangaurd its world class and on par or better then Kohler Kawasaki and most definitely Honda. If you want a great motor 13 hp or less I think Honda makes a great motor but the vanguards are superior when you move up in to the 14-34 hp class. On the 14 hp Fradan Vangaurd push blow I used in 4 years. It has went though hell even fell off a moving trailer at 40 mph and accept from having its spark plugs changed perhaps once a year and it does 100 fall clean ups a season not including spring and other work. It is still one pull to start. And runs as good as she did day one.
  9. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Im still useing a 16hp Vanguard i purchased new on a walkbehind in 93, used alot and have never had any major problems with this motor, prob- the best motor ive ever owned, i run robin, kaw, and kohler, my kohler is a good motor also ive got 3100hrs on it with little problems.......Marks Mowing Service
  10. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

Thanks for chiming in again Mark. I spoke with a highly regarded mentor of mine who runs a few of the 18 vanguards and he told me that they expect 3500-4000 hours out of them before they overhaul them. That helped me alot hearing that since im about to purchase a 18 vanguard with about 1700 hours on it already.

For all you guys who wasted my time with Honda this Honda that, re-read my post and keep your opinions to yourself since they obviously had no bearing to my post. :)