Any news on John Deere diesel ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdl, Sep 12, 2004.

1. mdl

mdl LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

There had been some brief discussion here previously on an upcoming JD diesel ztr this fall or winter. This was confirmed by my local dealer thru his JD rep. Anyone heard any further details?

2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like I will be getting a diesel Next Year.
    I have heard that they had problems mounting the diesel engine on the frame without major modification. I was also told that Deere is debating between a John Deere Diesel or a Yanmar Diesel. Either of these two motors are great.
    I will be trading in my 777 when the diesel comes out.

3. mdl

mdl LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks JPMAKO. Any word on approximate price?

I have tried 7-8 different ztr's and the JD 7-iron deck gave the most consistent quality of cut. I would much prefer a diesel however. The only other quality in a mower that stood out for me was the Ferris IS ride. Ferris is coming out with a new diesel mower (replacing the discontinued 4 series). For me, all other things being equal it will come down to quality of cut vs. smoother ride. Obviously price will be a factor as well as dealer support (JD being better than Ferris in my area).

4. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

From what I have heard list is going to be around $11,500.
    However dont take my word for it.
    That would not be too bad of a price since my 777 listed at over $10,000
    and I paid $8200 + Tax

But I am with you, I love my mower but would much prefer a diesel as they require less maintenance, lasts longer and are much better on fuel.

Hope this helps,
    Jason

5. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

I have a 757 now and am pretty sure I want to add another 757 or 777 for next year. I like to buy in the off-season because I am able to negotiate the best price. However, I think I might wait until I can demo the diesel. I think it would be worth the extra money.