1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any northern guys having luck with yearly contracts?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by EliteImpressions, Sep 23, 2007.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Im getting my certs soon and am thinking that I may want to do yearly contracts. It would include: 6 rounds of fert/pest, weekly mowing (about 30 weeks), aeration/seeding in the fall. Im only looking for 30-40 accounts and the typical yard is 6-7k after subtracting the house. Looking to charge around $150 a month. Would be targeting new developments with houses in the 350-450 range. A lot of people have come from Philadelphia that dont want anything to do with a lawn.

I know southern guys do this all the time since the growing season is pretty much all year. But how do northern customers take this?

Any insight would be great, just looking for the best way to get these people to sign on once Im fully legit.

Also, how do the prices look? Figured about $35-40 a cut for 30 weeks, 6 apps using lesco at $50 each, and $300 for the aerate and seeding.
  2. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do this for hire, nor hire it done for my own place, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I would think you'd need to add snow removal to make a monthly contract work successfully. Assuming the majority of people who would hire all of their lawn work done also would be hiring their snow removal... they're not going to want to pay you for the lawn during the winter and have to be paying somebody else for snow removal. At least that's how I see it from my own perspective. If I'm going to pay a monthly fee year round it better include ALL services I need year round.
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

For strictly applications and other work you can make it work. In the winter time throw a plow on a pickup and build to it. Worse case you can sub contract yourself to a company for snow removal. If done right you would have 7 to 10 months of work with applications.
  4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

You sure you're from Jersey? According to your numbers, you would gross about $50k a year. That's a lot of work for very little scratch and Jersey is a fairly expensive area to live in. But to your question, sure, why wouldn't a monthly payment work? Lots of smart contractors use this to smooth out their cash flow and lock customers in.
  5. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I hope youre right. If anything I thought I was a little high. Lawns would take 1/2hr max with a 36" mower including trim and everything and would avg $40 a cut or $1.33 a minute. Fert would be around $50 or about $10 per k. And for the seed/aerate would be around $50 per k.