1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any of these ty pe of calls?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaclawn, Nov 13, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

From non regular customers that call now that nearly all the leaves are down, and want a leaf clean up. Problem is that nothing has been done all season, and the grass has not been cut for 6 weeks and is now high. Leaf clean up is tough at best.

I used to feel obligated to hurry out and get them done, however this year the following applies "The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part".

I plan on putting them on a waiting list for after all of my loyal regular customers are taken care of. I will charge them a higher rate for the clean up due to the difficulty factor. It will cost them more for the one time leaf clean up than for a few clean ups over the leaf season.

These are generally lawns that have 4-6 inches of leaves now matted in the 6 inch high grass, all packed in a lasagna like mat.
  2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

At least they didn't wait until there is 4 inches of snow sitting on top of them. I think we all get those calls. What I usually do is tell them that it will be at least 3-4 weeks before we could get there because of scheduling (taking care of our primary customers). And at that time it will be more expensive because they have been sitting so long. So they usually go somewhere else. That's OK though we didn't want them anyway. Always take care of your primary customers first, you rarely get steady income from a one time leaf cleanup job.

3. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

I always charge non regular customers more. It gives a incentive to go with you full time!
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the one that got me was when the little ole lady that fired me over her $25 yard asked if I'd "like to come pick up her leaves".

all here should be proud. I simply thanked her for calling and told her that "this year I'm only picking up leaves for my customers".

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I've had a couple calls like that already this year. I turned them both into year round accounts. Use the opportunities that come your way to make a sale. If not, do just as you did by putting them on a waiting list and charging the $$$$$$$$ out of em'.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Jac, I'd also put that customer on the "back burner". Do you regular ones first and charge the non-customers extra.
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I don't mind these jobs, I just tell them that they are on a list and I will call them before I go there to do the job and that they should call other companies too. I sometimes give them the number of a company that always charges big bucks for these jobs and if they are still in a pinch and can't get it done to call me back. Then I can usually put a real good price on it and make good money. This way they feel like I am really going out of my way to help them. Then early next year I will give flyers to these people to hopefully make them regular customers. By the way I use Walker mowers so the cleanups aren't so bad.
  8. Guest

We will take all the people that call, give them a price and then tell them that it will be at the very least a few weeks to get there, if they are willing to wait thats great if not oh well, I would never let one of our year round good customers suffer because we were taking care of a one time customer. If the weather holds out like last year then we make out great with all kind of extra cleanups if not then at least we have taken care of our regular customers.Jsut My two cents
  9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I totally agree jaclawn, my first year doing this I had about 5 noncustomers that wanted leafclean after all were down,wet,matted and I did work& charged them an hourly rate for job. After I had finished for season I checked records and found out that I ended up doing the noncustomers leaf cleanups for a lot less than i charged regular customers. Well that was a big lesson for me, now I will do them but don`t rush to get them and charge a much higher rate per hour so if they wait to save bux, they will pay me bigger bux to clean them up!I sure wish I knew about lawnsite back then. :)
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I had a person call today wanted me to come and do their final lawn cut of the year. It has been raining everyday for a week and he didn't have time to do it himself now. There is 2" of snow on the ground today, wonder if I should blow it before I cut the lawn. Do these guys think we can melt the snow and dry the rain?