Any of you Guys do anything in addition to fall cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by All_Toro_4ME, Oct 9, 2007.

1. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if you all just do the leaves or trim the shrubs as well, or what all else you do. Beyond the gutters, leaves, and shrubs, (if you do them that is) Im not referring to snow removal, way to early for that, just during the fall cleanups?

2. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Try doing some bulb planting, just buy an auger that fits a cordless drill (although if you sell enough you will kill the batteries pretty quick).

We charge $1 per bulb installed.

Oh and cut back all the perennials to the ground and remove the debris.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

After mowing for 6 days a week since April we look forward to fall clean ups and then HOPEFULLY a little break until plowing. As for me and my guys, we're just too tired to do anything else. But I never turn down $$$$$$

4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Leaf work will keep me busy until at least Christmas. Then I will get some stragglers who postpone their leaf work until after the 1st of the year. Then off a month and then start cleaning beds, cutting back crepe myrtles, mulching. Then mowing again by mid March...

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I blow out/winterize sprinkler systems. Good money, almost no overhead.

And LOTS of sprays for spiders and boxelder bugs...

6. All_Toro_4ME

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Folks here have inground sprinkler systems. Our winters are so cold the lines can freeze. If water is left in those lines, it expands and cracks the PVC. Very expensive repairs come spring.

So around here we hook air compressors up to the systems (through their double-check/backstop valves and blow out all the lines.

8. All_Toro_4ME

Oh ok. Thx for the explanation whoop.

9. Dhouse

Dhouse LawnSite Member

We do aerations, fert., sprinkler blowouts and its a great time to plant. Cool temperatures and rain in October and November are a great time to transplant or install new plants. Or sit around waiting for it snow.