Any of you guys ever lose a cheque?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Nov 24, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any of you guys ever lose a cheque, or your employee lost a cheque?

What did you guys do?

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I always cringe when a customer hands me a check while I'm working, I usually stick it in my back pocket and forget about it. I've had a couple that ending up at the bottom of the washing machine later in the week.

I just called them and explained what happened. Replacement checks came via the MAIL...LOL

3. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

That's cool that they replaced it for you like that, around here the banks get at least $25 to stop payment on a check, no way will I replace a check of mine that someone else lost without putting the stop payment on it, and the new check will be the $25 short, so I would expect one of my customers to do any different.

4. alpine692003

Yah, thats the same here.. there is a $10 stop payment on the cheque..

But how would that sound to you guys,

Hey there Mary,

I just wanted to call and tell you that I lost that $2,124 cheque you gave me..

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't lost any checks lately, but the Post Office has. I've got about 5 checks floating around in the mail somewhere right now that the PO has lost. Long story, has to do with PO Boxes and remodeling at the post office branch, etc. In those cases I usually ask the people to write another and if the first shows up I rip it up. I dunno if they cancel it, but it's not on me, it's on the Post Office.

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought i lost one once. the lady came out to pay me (*sigh*) we talked and she ended up forgetting to hand me the check. we were both freaking out about losing it i thought she handed it to me and i lost it. she ended up finding it in her trashcan outside. she threw a few sticks away and the check with it!

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I guess I didn't TECHNICALLY lose the checks, they were right there at the bottom of the washer with all the ink run off...so they took me on my word that the check wasn't really floating around somewhere. So far I haven't really lost a check.

8. alpine692003

Does it matter if you lose a cheque without your signature or signature on the back of the cheque?

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

It would sound crazy. But if you did lose a check for that amount, call and have her stop payment and give you one for $2114.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I always get a kick out of it when canadians spell things compared to us. I always tease my wife (she's canadian) about it.

check, cheque
    color, colour
    center, centre