Any of you guys have female staff?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Dec 12, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Welp,

Just like I suspected, I put an ad up looking for snow shovellers and I got responses from girls, lol... Now, I dont mind having girls onboard especially these 2 girls cause they are hot!

Any of you guys have female staff on your crew? Do you treat them like guys and make em work hard as well or do you just give them leniency...

:waving:

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had at least one female on staff for the last three years. They have all worked just as hard as the guys, have better work ethics as well. Timeliness, carry tasks all the way to the end, have "the womans touch" as far as paying attention to details. They operate all the equipment as well as the guys. They are treated as equals. Fortunately for me, they have all been pretty darn strong as well. 50 pound bags of fert were no problem for them. Carrying the plate compactor with another guy, no problem. Wheelbarrows, no problem. They were all pretty small in size as well. 120 lbs. maybe.

Lastly, whatever their age, they hold a better conversation than the 20 year old guys. If I hear one more conversation about their "air cleaner" or "can exhaust" I'm going to flippen' snap.

3. alpine692003

Cool, Randy..

I plan on adding several "female" staff to the crew for the snow service I will be getting..

I've never experienced the side of hiring, I've always been working for someone else who was a female supervisor or whatever, etc..

Now i get to switch and play on the otherside and I'll see how it is...

any of your female staff still remain with you?

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

a female was my best hire two years ago. She ran the crew better than many of the guys I have hired. I only wish she stayed on for more than one season.

5. Harleyboy52

Harleyboy52 LawnSite Member

I'm a Capt. on the fire dept. and have a woman firefighter on my crew. I would pick her over any of the men on the crew. She is not as strong as most of them but she tries 150%. She is a great employee. I know if I went down in a burning structure she would probably die with me trying to pull me out, whereas I think a couple of the guys might run. I'm solo in the lawn business but I wouldn't think twice about hiring a woman. Maybe her?

6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have hired two women in the past. Neither one lasted past the first day. One had worked with her husband doing res. lawn care for 10 years. She said she couldnt handle doing the large commercial jobs we have. Not enough break time between jobs. The other one had never done lawn work before and just didnt have the strength and endurance to run a 21 inch mower all day, so we had to let her go. I wont be hiring anymore women any time soon.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

be careful, that ststement can put you out of business

8. alpine692003

Yes, be careful what you say..

I dont mind hiring females because this one is very hot lol... She likes doing landscaping and snow services, boy am I lucky.. something to look at and work with all day :waving:

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Both my brother's and my wife have plowed for us. My top landscape designer/installer is also female. I have no problems with hiring them at all.

10. alpine692003

Thats good to know...
    :rolleyes: