Any of you guys use brooms?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassFearsMe, May 26, 2004.

1. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Had an estimate for a customer last weekend and they told us we needed to use brooms on their property( very large circle drive w/huge parking area) b/c they couldn't handle the blower's fumes (two-cycle). We comprimised and we proposed a wheel blower b/c it has less harsh fumes, so i was wondering if any you guys would use or use brooms over blowers.
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

OMG are you kidding me? Run, run like hell. Sounds like they are going to be a PITA. If you do decide to do it make sure to tell them you would have to charge them a lot more to sweep it off if it was a large area.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

a what? Broom? Don't own one.
  4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You took the words right out of my mouth:)

Definately wouldn't broom it. If they wouldn't allow BP blowers, than I would say forget it. Are the trimmers you use 2-cycle? If so, did they ask you to use scissors:rolleyes:

That's fine if you regularly carry a push blower, but I wouldn't wan to go to the trouble of hauling one around. I have found that customers like this will just keep giving you more and more problems, but sometimes not. Good luck
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the last time I used brooms was when I was 16 years of age
  6. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Use the Broom and charge More
  7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a broom every day, to sweep the shop. I wouldn't even waste my time with someone like that, they would have to be outside watching you close by to be bothered by the fumes. As soon as you start mowing for them, they will come up with other "concerns" with your equipment, noise, size of mower, etc.
  8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you give in to brooms, next they will want the lawn cut with push reel mowers...PITA,....RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I don't think so!
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Ya, I use a broom to chase my dog out of flower beds.