1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any of you guys using Valpak?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royalslover, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used valpac and I am wondering what kind of results LCOs have been getting?
  2. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

$480.00 for 10,000 homes seemed kinda rich for my blood. The only coupons I use in ValPak is the Daquiri coupons!! :dizzy:
  3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

That's 4.8 cents per coupon. Seems kind of cheap to me.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I did ONE TIME several years ago and targeted a certain Zip Code and what a waste of money! Not one single call and we were even offering a Free Service to new accts. I'd bet ya that 80% get thrown in the trash without ever even getting opened.
  5. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I used Valpak my first year (2003). I was trying a number of marketing ideas and methods and kept careful count of the returns and the reasons why people responded. I got only one response from Valpak (5 to 7k were distributed). I found the only people who use Valpak are those looking for a coupon, something free, some sort of discount. I also found out that most people look for a lawn care co when they start thinking about their lawn. The first place they go to is the daily newspaper. I got most of my calls from the newspaper. For 1/2 the price of valpak I got my name in the paper every day for 60 days (mid march - mid may).
  6. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know numbers on lawn care but I do know on cleaning service. I'd imagine the numbers are pretty much the same. I have distributed over 500,000 pieces from ValPak and MoneyMailer over the years. The benefit these mediums have is that you can target an area cheaply.

You're probably looking at 0.1%-0.5% average response rate on the first mailing. Out of 10k you can expect to usually get 10-50 phone calls. It goes up slightly on the 2nd mailing and it tops out on the 3rd consecutive mailing, ususally. But the bad news is that maybe you get 20 phone calls; this is total. You talk to a guy and 2 more call and get your voice mail, there's 3. 75% of people who call and get voice mail DON"T LEAVE MESSAGES. Soo you've wasted 2 calls so far since those others just hung up. You might go to the bathroom, get 4 calls at once, miss them all. There's 7. Don't forget the one guy who called at 7pm the night before or the 2 who called after midnight, there's 10.

Let me give you the skinny on this type of advertisment;

If you don't have somebody specifically to answer the phone calls, especially on days 1-3 of the mailing, you're wasting your money. This type of advertisment fails when trying to communicate via voice mail.

You have to do 3 consecutive mailings to get decent results. 70% of the people throw them in the trash, 10% read all the time, 20% read every once in a while. The latter is who you're targeting on multiple mailings. Also when people see you in there 2-3 times in a row they don't believe you're a fly by night company.

You have to have a coupon on your mailing and it's got to be believeable.

To tell you the truth, if you're looking at doing only one mailing, you're probably better off going with a company that mails to new residents, people who just moved into a house in the area. I think Money Mailer has one and ValPak might as well. They cost more per piece but the results are much better. You want to make sure you only mail to NEW HOME OWNERS not all new residents. You don't want to spend money mailing to people who live in apartments, retirement homes, etc.
  7. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

Valpak has worked very well for me. You must continue for several months to get the full benefit.