Any of you just NOT return phone calls?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IN2MOWN, Apr 27, 2008.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Ive picked up about 7-10 new houses this year to mow. This morning I got a call from a guy in a city I really dont travel to much. He was calling for mowing for the summer.

I googled his address and then got an image of it. As Im looking at it I see a car up on blocks, a kiddie pool in the front yard and a recliner in the middle of his yard...

Not exactly the kind of customer Im looking to add.

I dont think Im even going to return the call...

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is a great example of Yin Yang crap, danged if you do, danged if you don't.

Because I've done it, mostly when I'm just too busy.
    But it does hurt business, over time.

You might swing past and take a look, them google satellite images are not always current.
    What I've done before is take a look see and if it looks as bad as it did on G then I keep on going.
    That's one way...
    Up to you thou, gas ain't cheap.
    And if you keep going it's as bad as not returning the call, from their end.
    There's even a small chance they spot your car and somehow know it's you LOL

Another way is to quote a high price, if you don't want it.
    Then if they say yes at least you get paid and either way you still did your part.
    The high price in and of itself doesn't really help either
    because it can and will come back on you later thou...

See the bs lol

Or, just leave it be.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Yes, if I see its an area I don't service. I look at the first 3 numbers on my caller id and let it go to voice mail. I have found that some people get offended if you don't want to drive to China lol to mow a lawn. Some beg and plead for you to do it "just this one time". They are nice at first then they can go off on you. I don't own a business to be abused. One guy even said "You can't just pick and chose your customers!!" uh huh dial tone buddy:hammerhead::rolleyes:

4. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

Anytime you get a call you dont wanna bother with, let me know, I;ll give it a look see!!

You got my number :drinkup:

5. IN2MOWN

Ill email you the info.

6. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Just return the call and tell him that you currently don't have the resources to pick up any more accounts in his neighborhood, if it is in fact a city that you don't regularly work in. If not, just return his call and give some BS excuse as to why you can't pick up the account, something that won't make you look bad as a business, but would be understandable to the potential customer.

edit: Simply not returning a call because you don't want to service the customer is bad business. Look at it from the flip side, how many estimates have you given where you wish the customer would call you back regardless of the decision, but instead they leave you waiting for weeks before you write them off?

7. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just call and tell him you don't want to do it.

8. IN2MOWN

Ive sent the info over to another LCO that I know.

If I call them and tell them I dont want to do it they will want to know why...then I would have to lie...

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I don't care if estimates call me back or not. I just pretty much know I didn't get the job if they don't call me back. I don't think I have ever gotten a call back if someone else got the job. "Hey lawn boy, I interviewed 10 other lco's and you were under bid by 5$ sawwwwwwwwyyyyyyy--me--" *&^%$#@"

Sorry to wake you up. Sorry to take you away from your meal--but I don't service your area--buh bye
    If you feel obligated to do things like this then your business is running you instead of you running it. Many potential customers are just going down the list .
    Anywho, I don't feel there is a wrong way to handle this situation. Everybody has their own way of doing things.
    Easy to waste your time. This person calls me and doesn't leave a message. So I call the number back. I guess he got the wrong number. We spent 15 minutes discussing who I was and who he was and who may have called and why they may have called and when they may have called:laugh::hammerhead::cry::confused:

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Haha. That's funny. I'm amazed at the arrogance and simple-mindedness of some people... How do they get ahead in life?