Any of you LCO's and dealer's??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Feb 23, 2008.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Curious who is, how it works, competiton, if your more service or sales or more LCO??

2. meets1

No one out there in this situation huh??

3. meets1

alright guys - 40ish views but nothing. I figured there had to be someone on here that is doing both? Or at least run two companies.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Mowingman used to be but last year they sold their lawn biz.

5. Omaha Lawnguy

Omaha Lawnguy LawnSite Member

The company I worked for last year (before I went out on my own) is both. Now I do some sub snow work for them and because of their central location and also the fact that they offer lower prices than the dealer guys alone they are one of the biggest salt/sand suppliers around.

6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

No offense to anyone, but I personally would not buy equipment from another lawn care professional. They are competition. Don't get me wrong, I have friends in the buz and all that, but at the end of the day the name of the game is grow your own business, not somebody elses.

Supporting one side of their business is giving them money to subsodize advertising, insurance, ect for the other side...

7. meets1

That may be true but to me the mass of people far out ways selling equipment to a few local LCO"s. And if your selling quality equipment, toro, exmark, red max, jonsreed, husky to name a few - I think the estate owners, farmers (in my area) hospitals, gov. agencies will buy things from you. As an owner of both - maybe I can get a better deal on equipment etc.

I know one guy about 60 miles from me. Exmark, shindiawa, perma green, brown bed edger - ones I remember - he sells. He said with the market is there. Guys with these machines already have to go to him or else travel 60 miles the other direction.

I have thinking of this and the oppurinuity is there for us. The toro dealer in 2 area towns are no more. The one is a lumber yard that lost there dealership due to bad business. The other guy has got out of selling completely and now is just a simple repair shop. All were left with around here is stihl, husky at farm stores, kubota and deere, craftsman if that counts.

There are alot of toro's out in my area. Pro's to Joe's have them. This year we picked alot of mowers up from homeowners for winter storage & service cuz there is no one who offerrs that service anymore.

Just looking for a few honest suggestions to see how you guys feel about a venture like this and maybe a route that i can take or look at. I attended the expo this year and talked extensively with toro/exmark on this and we have been in talks but that has been about it.

8. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I am an LCO and Walker dealer. Being a Walker dealer doesn't really make me money yet. The reason I'm doing it is the lack of a Walker dealer in Cincy. I use Walkers and developed a good realationship with the Walker disributor. He told me that end users of equipment usually make the best salesmen because they know the equipment really well. As far as the whole buying from the competition thing goes I'm not too concerned. My Landscape company is not very big at all. As far as I know, I haven't stepped on anyone elses toes. I also believe that there is more than enough business out there for everybody. If someone in my area is interested in purchaseing a Walker I'll do anything I can to help them out. Even if they are purchaseing a mower to compete with me. It's not like I'm going to sell some mowers and all the sudden have all this money to advertise and outgrow my mowing competition. I've actually found that there is not alot of money to make selling equipment. You have to sell ALOT of mowers to actually make enough money to support a storefront and yourself.

9. meets1

Selling retail is one thing but that opens up other avenues of business. Repair work always need to be done. Construction may be another add-on such as handle wacker,stone, trash pumps, etc. No one around my area - everyone goes the distance of 60+ miles to buy these. Yes, to have another lot, store front, maybe full time repair guy will take money but doesn't everything. It's called: american dream chasing!

10. wimpy

wimpy LawnSite Member

If the company offers you the prices and service that you like, then why not? Who cares if they are a competitor. Doesn't make sense to pay more with worse service(if that's the case) to another company simply because they aren't an LCO. Do whatcha gotta do for your business, don't worry about everyone else.