Any of you service gas stations, hotels?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, May 15, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like the topic posted, if so how do you get ahold of them?

I'd like to get 1 gas station, lol.

2. Stephen M.

Stephen M. LawnSite Member

I field mow a gas station that I have had since 1996. I got that account from my crew being at the mini mart at the "right time" to meet the company rep coming out of the store. He gave them a card and said to have their boss (me) call asap. He needed a once per month cut and dependability.

One of my clients, originially from CA, visited Port Townsend back in 1994 and bought a big Victorian that was divided into 3 apts. They hired us to maintain the grounds. 2 years later, they permenately moved to Port Townsend, started renovating the house and bought a hotel and hired my company; that was in 1996. In 1999, they bought another hotel down by the waterfront and hired my company again. We still maintain these accounts.

3. alpine692003

Damn!

Do you ask them how many times they want mowing in a month? and charge them accordingly? ie) 2 times a month, 3 - 4?

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Iv worked on about 6 gas stations I won't touch them again nor car dealerships its not worth the trouble with how crowded the parking lots get when your trying to work. Doesn't help the the exxon station stiffed me on my fall clean up last year either.

5. alpine692003

lol .. I guess there's a bad apple everywhere you go though!

6. Stephen M.

I service the big victorian and the biggest hotel weekly all year long. The smaller hotel I service biweekly. The owner lets me decide when and the scheduling; just so long as they look nice all the time. The gas station mowing starts about March and ends in October.

I guess that it was luck in how I got the accounts; but it is hard work and reputation that allows us to keep the work.

7. alpine692003

Thats cool.. But how do you bill them then if you just do whatever whenever you feel like it?

you're going to charge him roughly $400 - 600 a month for 2 cuts a month, 1 times garden bed maint, some other cleanups??

8. Stephen M.

I do have a monthly charge and a contract for the twelve months for labor and supplies for the home and hotel owner. Over the years and good record keeping, I have learned how to charge for the work. On the surface it looks like he is getting a deal, but thru effeciency and proceedures on our part we do well.

Every year at the gas station, I just keep sending the monthly bills to the oil company in charge and I get paid. Whenever I raise prices, nobody gives me any hassle, they just send the check. I decided that they like my dependability and figure not to rock the boat.

9. alpine692003

Cool!

I want some of those commercial sites, lol..

10. Stephen M.

I had a bank for 8 years before the new cfo gave all us established contractors the chop to "save money"; the list included janitors, carpenters, painters, and me. I was out of the contractor for 2 years until the Port Townsend bank manager called me last March 2003 to rebid. We got back in, but then that bank manager left a month later and went to work for a local credit union.

The new bank manager never contacted me about my contract until I went into see him about doing some extra work that their property manager had already approved, but he had final say over. My previous manager had requested the work. The new guy refused the work order and then behind my back requested bids for a "cheaper price"

I had never had a contract cancelled in 17 years, but this jerk used the escape clause and cancelled after 11 months of the twelve month contract!!! We did darn excellent work, but he wanted the extra work to be part of the overall contract. That's a tough one to figure out since the property manager of the bank association had approved the work and the maintenance contract. It looks like they just wanted the contractor for the other 4 branches in the neighboring county to do them all.

But I still have another bank we maintain and I just started a Wells Fargo Branch this month as a subcontractor.