Any of your customers complaining about cutting dewy grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, Jun 4, 2002.

1. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Lately it seems that a lot of my customers are mad that I am cutting in the morning when the grass still has dew on it. I usually start about 8:00am, and it seems as soon as they see me pull up they come running out in a tizzy saying "you can't cut - it's wet....come back later". The dew hasn't been completely drying out around here until around 1:00pm. As it is I'm out till 8:00pm, if I started @ 1:00 I would never get done. What do you guys do under these circumstances? :confused:

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.. rain and now the dew. Are you still having to triple cut?

Around here it seems there is a lack of dew... I don't know why as I'm only 4-5 hours south of you?

To answer your question... no complaints. Sorry!

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm west of you, outside of youngstown By a stones throw, the grass drys out about 11, we start at 8:00-8:30 but we try and stat with commercial accounts. we have time and time again explain to our customers that we can cut that early without lossing quality. but we still get a few that will try and use anything to get out cutting when any wettness is oon the yard.

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Tell your customers that is why you buy commercial grade mowers so you are able to cut when its wet.

5. JR LeGer

JR LeGer LawnSite Member
    from AZ

I agree with GreenQuestLawn..tell them you have lawnmowers that cost more than some vehicles and they can cut in about any condition.

Just make sure you are actually running that kind of equipment if you say that,

Also, it never hurts to just be totally open and tell a customer that you are at it 'till 8:00 p.m. as it is and you just can't modify times for everyone.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a couple like this and as they said above, you have to educate the customer. They don't cut in the rain or wet grass because they don't have too. Mowing seems to be this big mysterious job when it is done in other than "perfect" conditions. You know how to make a lawn look good when it is wet so ask that they give you the chance.
    I really try and explain to them that I will not damage the lawn and follow thru. Some people still don't understand and they have someone else cutting for them.

7. I have the opposite problem. We've been getting so much rain customers ask "How are you going to keep up with all the rain we've been getting?" I tell them that we mow in the pouring rain if we have too. It doesn't hurt grass to mow it wet.

It sounds like they're trying to run your business.
    In that situation I tell people that I can come back, but I'll have to put them back at the end of the list because I have a schedule to keep. That I can be back in a few days if that's OK with them. (It never is.) We always wind up mowing it then.

Dave

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i tell my customers i use a special blade designed for wet grass and have never had them ask again

9. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I like this idea.
    Another thing you could tell them is you have summer air in your tires and that allows you to be able to ride on wet grass.

I use to work at a service station and you would be suprised at how many people came in wanting the winter air removed and summer air put in. No joke.

10. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

ROTFLMAO!! That is totally hilarious.:D :D :D

Cutting when it's wet/raining? Most of my customers don't expect me to but how else can a person keep up?

(Still laughing about the "summer air"!)