Any one do business in a small town?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Watkinslawnservice, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Like a town of 5,000 people or less? If so, how much of your business is in that town and how much of it do you have to travel to other towns to do?

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

we have accounts in towns as small as 2,000 people and in towns with as many as 700,000 people and every population in between.

3. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

We do most of our work in a town of 35,000 and a lot of high end rural work.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess it really depends. Do you plan on only working in this town, it might be a little tough, but I would say it depends on many other service providers are already working there. For example, I know of a town near me, you could actually call it a suburb, it probably has a population of about 5000, and I know for a fact that the market for lawn and landscape service is excellant. I suppose it really just depends on the area.

5. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

The closest town to me is about 5000. I think there's enough business there to provide for me, but until I can grab enough of it I'm driving about 30 minutes to a more populated area. Actually, that doesn't bother me too much. My goal over the next few years is to establish crews in several different areas, so if my work is spread out it's okay for now.

6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

my town is less than 6,000 residents in the summer, only 4,000 at most times. there are several people who do lawn care in my town, but everyone who lives in this town has a house with a big yard, so there isn't too much competition. everybody has a section that they have "marked" as theirs, it works well, and the competition is friendly.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yep, we deal with small town living, around 5,000 in our home town, and we swing over to the existing towns, so we have about 30,000 potential customers to pull from. drive time is easy, not many miles, lots of frequent stops.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

great small town... just get the old ladies to like you and your in..... they all know each other so treat them right and things go great..... i now service 4 small towns...... great environment i think.....:usflag:

9. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I agree, it is a great environment to work in. I do about 50/50 as far as work. Work in a small town pays my bills; work in the larger makes me money. It also helps from stepping on other LCO's toes. They stay out of my areas and I stay out of theirs as much as possible. the Older lady thing is true too especially if they go to the Sr center, they tell their friends and before you know it your cleanup job schedule is full.

10. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

we have about 700 houses in my town! not to many compared to Waukee(fasted growing town in the United states!)