any one do this every year or so?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

my mother inlaw has a guy that owns a lco down her street. once a year or so he has competitors come out and give him a estimate on his home to see if his prices are still competitive. he has his equipment else ware. now my question is any one else do this and if not why?
  2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah. i do. then i pay one of the desperate scr#bs $2 to cut my acre.
  3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

NO, thats for ****** , what another guy charges ain't gonna make a tinkers damn to me,his codb ain't mine.
  4. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

6'7" is right. If you spent your time looking for work or estimating it might be a better use of your time. Focusing on the competition is exactly what the competition wants you to do.

Go get the customers....:clapping:
  5. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Why not do that?
    Because its a lousy thing to pull on your competitors, one that might get the crap beat out of him someday.
    Our time is valueable, not to be wasted by that sleezy foolishness.

I think I really would RoundUp that F'ers personal lawn if I found out that he wasted my time that way... he's a total shart.
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. I don't care what the other guy charges. There are better ways to see if your price is competitive.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No because that is a backhanded way of wasting another businessman's time.

I get a few calls like this every year, of course I can't prove it but I'm not stupid. You can usually tell with these, something is always odd or fishy about the deal. I don't like the nagging suspicion that someone is doing this as there are other, better ways to gauge prices...

For one, the caller could just ask upfront when they call instead of pretending about some work, I usually won't price a yard where I suspect this to be the case.