Any one else experience this in the rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcclureandson, Sep 16, 2004.

1. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

I was mowing in a drenching rain this morning and noticed on successive passes the cut was getting lower, and lower, and lower...I started at 2.75 inches and by the time I was finished had moved the deck height to 3.25 inches to avoid scalping. Was it the ground softening up and the machine's weight sinking into the ground, or perhaps the wet grass was affected more by the blade's lift? Never experienced this before...

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

It was a combination of the three more than likely if it was raining that hard. Once it starts raining that much unless I am alreday nearly finished as bad as I hate to I stop and come back as you stand the chance to really damage the turf once it is that wet.

3. reneekrause

reneekrause LawnSite Member

Were you in the middle of the job when the downpour started?
    We do not mow in a downpour for this reason and a few more...the performance of the machines is degraded, there is safety hazards to the worker(s) and the end results are not the best. The ground does soften and will cause ruts. Depending on the equipment size thats alot of weight on a lawn. Then there is the issue of a bigger mess to clean-up on the machines.
    I would recommend that you discontinue the practice of mowing in downpours (drenching rain), just wait it out if possible or return later in the day.

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Mowing when wet causes compaction, bad for lawn and hard on equipment.

5. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

I was halfway finished when it started...no ruts, the turf wasn't being damaged by the tires on my turns etc...that's why it seemed strange. Sometimes you have to mow in the rain...

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

even if you're not tearing it up you still do a lot of compaction with a rider when its wet.

7. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

tires sinking and deck not.kind of creating a crown under the mower.