any one ever burn a full grown palm tree?

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by themadcutter, Oct 11, 2013.

1. themadcutter

themadcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from florida

I fertilized around a fox tail palm. it is established and well rooted. It is also surrounded by japanese box wood shrubs on one side which are pretty close to it. the box woods had no problem at all but the older frawns on the fox tail palm turned brown and died off pretty quick. It was obviously not natural.

could a common tree and shrub fertilizer damage a full grown palm and not touch shrubs right next to it or should I look for a different problem.

I do not have specifics on the amount of fertilizer I put down

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You actively applied ferts. to the shrubs? or was it meant for the grass and possibly contained herbicides?? What were soil conditions, in the sense of the tree being water stressed already???

3. themadcutter

from florida

It was meant for the trees and shrubs. it was just a basic tree and shrub fert. no herbicide. Nothing was water stressed at the time.

4. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

You really should work on that part.

Sprinkle here, sprinkle there. Hell, lets just cover it like it was mulch
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. LandscapeSavannah

LandscapeSavannah LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

When you say established; you mean it's solid after a year? Or this is a 20 year old plant?

6. themadcutter

from florida

it is a palm that was planted 6 years ago and was at least 8 years old when it was planted.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

8. themadcutter

from florida

Please correct me if I am wrong but the title says lawnsite- lawn care and landscaping forum yada yada yada fertilizer application.

Wouldn't the landscape part include trees and the fertilizer part include fertilizing trees?

9. LandscapeSavannah

LandscapeSavannah LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I seriously doubt it is from the fertilizer. Disease is likely. Were you fertilizing it because it didn't seem to be growing or was looking bad? It is probably rot and not much you can do about it other than make some money replacing it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. themadcutter

from florida

It didn't look bad so much as it seemed to just stop growing. the new growth was green but no newer growth had been coming out. I can't see any signs of crown rot (is that what its called).

I just had never burned a palm before and thought it was almost impossible. I mean without dumping pounds in one spot.

I just wanted to check and see what others thought. The brown older leaves seemed to happen right after I fertilized. but thats more what I was told by the customer. I'm a little foggy about the time between fertilizer and the brown leaves