any one ever burn a full grown palm tree?

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by themadcutter, Oct 11, 2013.

1. LandscapeSavannah

LandscapeSavannah LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I have seen my fair share of very slow growing palms. It all has to do with conditions. Likely the customer just happened to notice some yellowing and is concerned you did something wrong. Do you see new growth at the crown? If you had rot you would definitely know by looking around there. Water everything in well. Post some pictures if you can and see what happens after while.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. themadcutter

themadcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from florida

I took off almost all the brown frawns. so they aren't there for the picture. there were like 5 or 6 all at once. I never had seen that on a foxtail which is self pruning.

I'll take a picture of the top tomorrow. I have only seen rot in queen palms and on those it seems very obvious to me.

do you think it would look the same on a fox tail

3. LandscapeSavannah

LandscapeSavannah LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

What sort of irrigation does it get? Palms are not plants to keep wet. They will do fine off rain water. Could actually be a root problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. themadcutter

themadcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from florida

the system had been off for a while because we had plenty of rain all summer. Its up high so it never stays wet from rain but had gotten plenty of water from rain.

since I took the dead frawns off it doesn't look bad. there is one more dead and one starting to yellow. the terminal but has been there for ever and has not opened. that was the reason for the fertilizer

Its the best picture my phone could take

palmtree.jpg

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes adding a fertilizer without prescription will do more harm than good........

Palms like a Fe/Mn ratio in favor of Mn.

Check the bag of fert you used to see if it had higher % of Fe than Mn...That could make the Mn less available and cause more issues. Then you would use a fert specific to Palms in favor of the Micro Mn.

Check with your local University or Cooperative Ext.

Can be confirmed with some soil and tissue testing as well.

6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member