Any one ever get sick?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Dec 3, 2003.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed something from time to time...I don't get sick anymore. When I worked in an office all day, or drove around trying to sell softwar, I'd get sick 3 or 4 times a year- minimum.

Wonder if being out doors and sweating bullets has something to do with it?

Any thoughts or similar comparisons?

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always been very healthy, thank goodness. I've had an on and off cold for over a month though. Must be since we put our daughter in a preschool program for 2 days a week. Also, if I don't take my Zyrtec in the Spring my allergies go wild. The last time I have been to the Dr. was 7 years ago when I had the flu. DAM% insurance companies are making a killing off of me.
  3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Its easier to get sick in places like office buildings where lots of other people work.

Working outside puts you around less germs, sneezing and coughing of co-workers.
  4. Same thing with me. Plus, about the time I went to full time as an LCO, the kids were calling me the Pillsbury Doughboy!
    I ain't been called that in a while. This work has probably saved my life.

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

ya same thing here hardly ever get sick now but when you get sick look out its going to be a bad one for sure actually we have been finished for about 2 weeks now so i have been out and around and now iam getting a sore throat as i write this
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I attribute it to many things. But there is one that I'm sure will be skipped over so I'll mention it.

Plenty of sunshine on the body.

Do a web search on this. You'll be surprised what you'll find out about the good effects on the body that come from exposure to good ol' sunshine.
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

2 girls in public schools = 1 cold every other month
  8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Funny you mention your comparison with office sick and never being sick outside.

I learned about it in science-The actual term is called "Sick Building Sindrome" You get it from tightly sealed office buildings where the same air that everyone is coughing and sneezing into circulated all day long. You end up breathing in 10X more germs this way. Despite what you hear about air scrubbers and filters...if you knew half the stuff that got circulated around an office building all day you would be holding your breath:eek:

Outside theirs no one but you and the birds/trees. Outdoor pollution (i.e. fossil fuels burning) is not nearly as sickly (unless your in a major city) that tightly sealed building air.
  9. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Never been sick working outdoors and if I am sick I do lay out and let the sun beem down on me to make feel better.
  10. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i can relate to the kids in school posts above. sometimes i'll be doing just fine, then my kid will get sick and next thing i know i've got the same thing. i wish when kids get sick they're folks would keep them out of the school, thats what we do. anyway ,i've got this new problem, i lost my hearing in on ear- huh?.. what?? i thought at first it was from not wearing ear protection around the equipment but have now come to the conclusion that i've got trapped fluid in the middle ear. any good suggested remedies out there i would appreciate. anyway , overall yes i have noticed i stay healthier being outside all the time. i think drinking water and sweating like a pig in the summer helps keep the body cleaned out plus the great exercise. wow- i'm really starting to sound like the old geezer that i am!