Any one ever seek therapy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Dec 14, 2004.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

The reason why I ask is just the nature of this business. To quit your job, and start a business. To work and work and not having a punch out time. Most people would never take on such a risk. Why do we? When you reach burn out, then that may be a good time to go talk to someone. I have a buddy of mine that worked to much, that he went through two marriage's. After his second marriage he went and talked to someone. Therapy can get to the point of whats going on in your head. Are we all control freak's to some point? I know for me, I hate people telling me what do do. When I had a boss, I hated it. If a customer starts getting bossy for an extended period of time, I almost always consider dropping them.

I think ones people saw Tony Soprano going in and talking to someone, it made it kind of ok. I had to laugh when he said, going to therapy is like taking a crap. You unload all kinds of crap swimming around in your head I think he meant.

Just because you go to therapy doesn't mean your crazy.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

many years my friend, and i still hear the voices in my head

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think you are right to some extent. A business owner needs to be somewhat controlling. You won't make it in business being a passive person.
    The key though is knowing when to draw the line. I tell Matt all the time he is way too controlling at home, that he needs help.. He gets mad at me. ;)
    Me on the other hand, I doubt would benefit from therapy. I'm as right in the head as they come. :laugh:
    I'm sure though I could recommend a few people for the couch. ;)

4. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

It's nice to have a buddy wiser.

5. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

I think running your own business and taking control of your life as much as possible is a form of therapy...

6. breckslawncare

breckslawncare LawnSite Member

Therapy is nothing to be afraid of, my friend.
    It saved my marriage and gave me the self respect to be in this busines today.
    After all it's better to go at the risk of saying that the shrink was nothing more than bull****, than to not go at the risk of turning you marriage or business into bull****.
    I'm thankfull I went.

7. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

WOW, you must be reading the same books I'm reading. I agree. TAKE CONTROL OF YOU LIFE and be responsible.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, can't even read that question without openly admitting it.
    In business, I think I take it a little too far at times also.
    It can be a friend or foe....

9. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I would go in a heartbeat. To have someone listen to me and all my headaches and then try to improve me sounds good to me. So why don't I go? $100 bucks an hour or whatever it cost. For now my two best friends (the dogs) will have to do.

10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member