Any one fromNE Florida?

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by J.R. Lawn Care, Apr 27, 2003.

1. J.R. Lawn Care

J.R. Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NE, Fl.

Hi Guys,
    I will apprisiate any help, if you guys could tell me some rates in lawn care like mow, trimm (where mower can't go), blow, edge, 5 app fertilization program(how many for app?), seedding/over-seeding, etc...any advice, tips about the biz in northeast Florida, (Jacksonvill area) I'm planning to launch my biz in 2004 and need to know few stuff about the biz in this area, again any help will be apprisiate and thank you in advance. :angel:

2. intiMOWdator

intiMOWdator LawnSite Member

J R,
    I am from Jacksonville as well. I understand you are planning to get in the business in 2004 which I recommend very much. There is a lot to learn in this business and a lot can be learned from lawn site. I would recommend going to a near by lawn and garden store and take notice of all the fertilizers and grass sold and get to know the experts there. I used to work and manage a hardware store for 16 years and helped alot of LCO. Ask Questions like what is the difference between all the fertilizers, Mowing suggestions, Weed killers, which tools are better, ask about a discount for your self, It will amaze you how often you may need it, trash bags repairs for sprinklers, flowers, etc, and for the camaraderie. I charge $36 / hr and remember image is worth a ton. Look up ETW on this site and thats where I learned from him. I read this site for a year before I even did any move towards LCO. I would recommend working for someone first or tag along with them to see how they do things. I have been mowing since I was 11 and still learn techniques routinely, sales , communication, software, cards, shirts, logos, contracts, flyers, incentives, business plans, tricks of the trade, and Attitude. It is very difficult in the summer. My last advice to you is save save save and then save! Stay away from debt it is a killer stress on you. You may need to have a little but if you can don't. If you have any other questions I will try to answer them asap. ps I usually don't say much but I figured it is time to give back a little that I have learned so much on Lawnsite.com. Hope this will help you. Good Luck . remember even a fool is right now and then.
    Art

3. J.R. Lawn Care

from NE, Fl.

Thank you for the reply, and more for the recomendations.

Can I ask some more questions?
    It is hard to find costomers in this area? I know depends in your advertizing but an average. :confused:
    It's here alot of competition? I've seen about 7 differents LCo's around here but like 3 in one of the neigborhoods where I want to do my biz. And anyone yet in the others, I think they don't do advertize cos some yards in front of them were a jungle,... they still like that, all full of weeds, more than 10 are like that though. I think with some advertizing work I could get some. Anyway, what kind of equipment do you recomend? I saw one at eXmark local dealer for $4,888/$150 a month, eXmark 36" METRO 12.5 hp
    Trimmer, edger, hedgetrimmer, blower rack for blower and trimmers and of course the trailer, It's a good deal? If you could take a look at http://toolsforatime.com in the index click start your own business. Than You again, hope to hear about you soon. -J.R.

PS- I also thought to start it with a partner, do you recomend this? Thank You in advance:D

4. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

PS- I also thought to start it with a partner, do you recomend this? Thank You in advance:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Usually the 1st mistake made...go solo until you have enough work to hire others...I'm based in Jax as well, where you looking to market? :cool:

5. J.R. Lawn Care

from NE, Fl.

I'm goin to be here in Orange Park area, The partner could be my uncle, but thats not for sure yet ;) I thought in him cos he has experience(I don't) he know more things like installation & repair of sprinkles, turf installation(I did it once but was 7 yrs. ago) and some more landscaping stuff that I don't know. How many yards a solo person can do? And whats the average of the yards around here? 1000 to 3000? less? bigger? -JR

6. J.R. Lawn Care

from NE, Fl.

One more thing, Do you guys sevice weekly, bi-weekly?

7. intiMOWdator

J R,
    I did alot of shopping when it came to equipment. Tools for a time has a store at harley and old st aug. rd. I seriously thinking of going that route but I had a change of heart when I went to GIE expo some time back. Good equipment but a little pricey for what you get. Walk behind mower, I liked the t bar from toro. Much easier to learn on but pistol grip can be easy after you get the hang of it but your hands can get tired on a small lawn which there are plenty around here. I do recommend new equipment if you cant find the exact equipment you want, if you find used make sure it is in top condition there are alot of accounts that depend on you to be there when you have to be, and having broken down machines and establishing a rapore with mechanics is tuff enough. Find your nich in your market whether it is best pricing, best care, great look, you do the little extras and competition wont matter. As for a partner it depend on your maturity level and communications expertise, it is difficult in the beginning and there are alot of directions that both have to agree on. I started with one and decided it was best to go separate ways and we were very close and still are. I would strongly recommend against it if you can. It is difficult enough to make it work and even more difficult with someone else trying to run things. If you get to busy there is alway someone you can hire latter on. hope this helps.

8. intiMOWdator

go for the contract and do it weekly in peek season and biweekly visits in off seasons. Bottom line take care of the customer or someone else will.

9. intiMOWdator

5 to 10,000 avg and I can do about 8 to 12 depending on how groumed the lawn is better lawns go quicker. It also depends on your equipment. ztr, walkbehind with sulky, and much slower with no sulky or ztr. bigger lawns about 5 to 6 a day.

10. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 52" wb and mow anywhere between 9-15 lawns a day...average about 13 lawns a day solo...my record is 21 lawns in 1 day, solo, from dark till dark...phew, what a day:sleeping: