Any one have a Chevy 2500 manual tranny?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Old Red, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Went to the dealers today and looked at the 2500 Dmax. I've got to do something, I'm afraid the 1500 w/ the 5.3 isn't going to hold up pulling the tractor up the local hills. I asked the salesman if they'd sold many of the diesels with a manual and he said no, not a one. Hard to know how they hold up. Anybody out there used the ZF 6-speed?

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Must be a new option, because until now you could only get then in the auto.

But that Allison (auto) should do FINE, they are a very good trans, or so i have heard.

I have a love/hate relation with my 5spd. It is nice to downshift and hold a gear to climb a hill.But it is rough on the clutch taking off on a hill with a heavy load.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll have better luck asking the Ford guys since Ford sells more ZF-6's than Chevy does. Come to think of it, I don't believe I've ever seen a 99+ with a stick.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I wonder sometimes how hard it would be to convert a Dodge auto tranny to a 6 speed. Never again will I buy an aoutomatic for pulling.............never..........ever. I got a rebuilt tranny in the truck outside that needs more attention. I'd gladly pay to have the conversion done just so I wouldn't have to keep dealing with these annoying issues.

5. Smalltimer1

Sell it and get a real truck, a Ford. :cool2:

6. OUCH!!!

:nono:

7. Smalltimer1

Needed some humor in here anyway, don't take that to heart--even though it would be an improvement! :D

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

ford sells alot of the manual trans with the powerstrokes and the new 6.0's. Chevy is selling a ton of the allison trans because its a heck of a trans. When it comes to a diesel though i'd rather have a manual, yea you ahve to replace the clutch now and then but if you know how to drive thats not very often. I don't care how good an auto trans is its not going to keep up with a diesel with out a rebuild down the road.

9. I'm not averse to a Ford, or a Dodge. I'm just looking for more truck than I have now and I want it with a manual transmission. My first truck was a Ford, '72 1/2 ton with 2000 miles on it, paid $1800 for it. Then I got a wife, kids and was out of trucks for a while. When I got another it was a Chevy, another Chevy. Anyways I've stopped at a couple of Chevy dealers and they just don't have trucks with manual transmissions.

10. Smalltimer1

I think you get a credit off the list price for ordering a manual.