Any one have large cemetery accounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aw3375, Nov 23, 2003.

1. aw3375

aw3375 LawnSite Member

Does any one out there have any large cemetery accounts? If so, how do you deal with all of the trimming around the head stones? I heard some people use weed killer around them but I am worried it might make it look bad. Any suggestions?

2. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

Just started doing a midsized cem. this yr. I do not use much spray i dont think it looks very good. I mow around the stones with a 42" dixon so there is not much triming to do . We trim maybe every three weeks. Of course memorial day we really do a little extra. Seriously thinking about a Gravely 34z it will get between a lot of stones that the 42 " wont. Cemetarys are not bad just take a little bit of patience.

3. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn LawnSite Member

aw3375 I have a fairly large cemetary account. I've had it for 2 years now. At first I was mowing with 2 38" riders. That sucked - took way too long. eventually I got in there with my JD Z-Track 52". It's about 2 acres or so. 400 tombstones, and 1 or 200 trees, 3 banks, 1 ditch, and a few raised concrete family sections. I trim EVERYTHING everytime I mow - all the stones ditches, banks, etc. I can do it in about 3 to 3.5 hours flat. I will say that it is a rough cemetary and is hard on my equipment. What I do everytime I trim around all those tombstones to keep the trimming to a minimum each week is to cut down to bare dirt around the stones. It looks good, and will eventually grow back and makes it easy to manage. Try that if you can.

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a 12 acre cemetery for 8 years I sprayed 4" around the stones the time it took to trim was reduced to 2o minutes they got tired of me complaining about there watering habits. The clock was set to run 12 hrs a day 7 days a week.

5. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

I have mowed a cemetery now for three years. It takes me 10 to 12 hours to mow and 22 hours to weed eat. The cemetery board will not allow weed killer around the stones, looks like crap. Some people do come in and spray some around the stones and it looks like crap.

firefighter

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -